overseas "SDI"?

drayschap

overseas \"SDI\"?

I have seen some VW diesels sold overseas referred to as "SDI". Does anyone know what this abbreviation stands for?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Re: overseas \"SDI\"?

SDI stands for Saug Direct Injection or something like that. It is similar to the TDI minus the turbo. Suag is German for Sucking.

Fred

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

The SDI is simply the 90 HP TDI engine without the turbocharger and intercooler. It's rated around 70HP.

Brian Kmetz, 97 Passat TDI
bpkmetz@crtelco.com
Chicago VW org. #41

S

SkyPup

The older VW diesels w/o the turbos only put out about 55-60HP from the same displacement as the TDI's. Seems as though the combination of TDI technology and the turbo is good for about almost a 50% increase in power with at least the same fuel economy.

M

mickey

A TDI with no turbo? And "saug" is german for "sucking"? Seems appropriate!

-mickey

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant

Ya, I saw some in Germany last summer. Mostly for driving schools though. If you go to the www.vw-online.de and look at the vehicles, you will see the SDI. I don't even think the fuel economy is as good as the TDI. Probably the only thing going for it then is the cheaper price.

Fred

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607

The SDI is available in small cars like the Polo. In something as small as the Polo it is quite acceptable, and gives more power / better economy than the standard 1.9 IDI diesel (also a non-turbo). It's also much better than a 1.1 petrol IMHO and I would probably prefer it over the 1.4 petrol too. Remember that us Europeans have been driving around in non-turbo diesels for years and years, and the SDI is still an improvement over them. If I am looking for a car with good economy, I could by a small petrol car such as a 1.1 Polo, or get similar economy from a larger car such as a Golf with an SDI engine. It will be safer and more refined on longer journey's, if not quite so much fun around town.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon)
Visit me at www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5067/

M

mickey

I guess if you're used to a lack of power, it's not such a problem. But the SDI would never fly in the US. I have a hard enough time convincing people that the TDI is plenty powerful enough. (Until they actually ride in the car! Then they're convinced.) But Americans continue to have a love affair with the old air-cooled Beetles to this day. I always considered them to be maddeningly under-powered, and about as much fun to drive as a lawn mower. We just don't know what the hell we want, do we? (No, I'm definitely not a VW fanatic. I'm a TDI fanatic. If I achieve 100,000 completely trouble free miles in my NB, I'll be sold on VW. It's at 14,300 and still chugging along perfectly so far!)

-mickey

D.Johnson

TDI
99 1/2 Golf

Saugmotor is the German way of saying a naturally aspirated engine...ie. no turbo.