2004 Passat with possible transmission problem

Shosek

TDI
2004 Passat TDI Wagon
Hi
I have a 2004 Passat TDI Wagon i bought new. It has 189,600 miles and I’ve taken excellent care of it ( oil changes every 5K miles, all the specific maintenance needed at mileage intervals, etc). A week ago i put it i. Reverse and when I put it in Drive it didn’t move, it did after I gave it more fuel. A couple days later it made a noise when I put it in reverse then when I put it in drive it acted like it didn’t have as much power. Finally I was driving about 20 mph and it revved up and acted like it was in neutral. I pulled over shut it off and restarted and it was fine. I took it to the dealer and they said the machine code said it was a transmission sensor. They couldn’t guarantee that would fix it. If it didn’t it would be the transmission. Ive driven it four times since then and it’s ran perfect.
Has anyone had this problem or have suggestions. This is the best car I’ve ever had and was hoping to drive it for another 200,000! The body is in excellent condition. Just one tiny rust spot on rear fender. Look forward to hearing your ideas.
Sandy

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Any check engine lights? What does the obd say? The transmission on these cars are a weak link if the transmission fluid isn't changed every 50k.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Changing the engine oil twice as often as necessary won't make up for never changing the transmission fluid at all.

You'll need the transmission rebuilt or replaced most likely.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
This may not apply in all cases but the transmission controller is in one of the worst places it can be located. And that is on the passenger side floor under the carpet padding. If you have never cleaned out the cowling drains where the battery is mounted of debris or the cleared the sunroof drains water can make it's way into the cabin and puddle up on the floor pan literally flooding it. You may not even notice it to touch the carpet because there is quite a layer of the padding.

Here is a list of codes that surfaced when this recently happened to a customer's car.

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.lbl
Part No: 3B0 927 156 AP
Component: AG5 01V 2.0lPD USA 1213
Coding: 0001104
Shop #: WSC 05311 000 00000
VCID: 74EC088D144BDBEF8D-5038

4 Faults Found:
18228 - Pressure Control Valve 2
P1820 - 003 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
18238 - Pressure Control Valve 4 (N218)
P1830 - 003 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
18223 - Pressure Control Valve 1
P1815 - 003 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
17090 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125)
P0706 - 003 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON

Once I dried the wiring harness, controller, floor and padding, everything went back to normal.
It is a very common problem on these cars. Sometimes the controller does not survive.

Last edited: