2001 2.5 i5 TDi LT35

Natty

TDI
2001 2.5 TDi LT25; 2004 1.9TDi Jetta Wagon
After years of bemoaning the limited practicality of the North American pick-up truck as a true work vehicle, I decided to get an LT with 3-sided dump (3-seiten kipper).

It arrived in Hfx in August 2016 and after a little dancing with customs and NS motor vehicles (to get a temporary transit permit), I drove it back to NB.

Registering the truck turned out to be an adventure - only one ever in the province, so Service New Brunswick had to have their IT department add the vehicle to their database before I could register.

Over the last two years, the truck has turned out to be a very useful work vehicle and, for an 18-yr old truck, fairly reliable. The downside is that when something does break, parts frequently need to be ordered from Europe (engine), but not always - much of the brake/steering/suspension/frame systems are shared with the MB/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter, so parts are available here.

As a work truck, it is an ideal configuration:
- The box bed is 3m x2m (roughly 9' x 6.5') and, with the canopy off and rails down can be used as a flatbed.
- though we most frequently dump to the rear, the ability to dump to the side has come-in handy in tight places.
- The cabin is huge (you can put 8' lumber in the cab), but would benefit from a rear door on the drivers side {later models have doors on both sides}.
- the gearing of the transmission is impressive. The 2.5 TDi puts out 80kW (~109 bhp), but the truck carries a 1.5tonne payload without struggling.

If I were to do it over, I'd opt for the LT46 or LT/Crafter 50 - same physical dimensions, but with a larger load capacity (up to 5-tonne).

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is pretty sweet. Did they (Dodge/Freightliner) not sell the Sprinters there starting around 2003 like they did here? I know we only got a single cab chassis/cab configuration (or of course the various vans). And of course they were all automatic.

Natty

TDI
2001 2.5 TDi LT25; 2004 1.9TDi Jetta Wagon
We had both the MB Sprinters and rebadged Dodge/Freightliner, but primarily the vans with a few box vans. All the Chryslers were automatic as were most of the Sprinters.

I wanted something more practical than a pickup for carrying plywood and sheetrock, but the 3-way dump is the star feature ... no more "hand-bombing" debris off the truck or having to pull a dump trailer along.

I just wish our import laws would allow me to bring a newer one over ... there was some noise that CETA would eventually make that possible, but I've not seen any movement yet.