Market Value for 2002 Golf GLS biodiesel ???

WillNow

TDI
Would appreciate folks weighing in on a ballpark market price for my 2002.
It has 200,000 miles and a brand new, entire clutch package.
Interior is pretty beat up. Exterior OK except for a large dent in the hood.
Solid engine. Will need new front struts.
What kind of value might this have if I sell it? I live in the San Francisco Bay area.
> Basement price?
> Top price?
> Likely price?
THANKS for your opinions.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Last timing belt done at what mileage?
Two door or four door?
GL or GLS?
Additional options?
Rust on the front fenders or behind the front wheels?
What's broken and what maint is required or upcoming?

For cars on TDIClub, the value is driven by maintenance history and condition. Other markets seem more concerned with appearance and utility. The CA and PacNW areas seem to command a premium, but savvy buyers will want receipts and history.

Really need pics and more info to provide a good price.

Opinion:
Basement $1,500
Top $3,500

WillNow

TDI
Wow. Fast and nice feedback on the top and bottom price.

I will take some pics and list maintenance data some time next week.
I'm preparing for a trip and visitors, so busy today and tomorrrow.

THANKS.!

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I'm down a solid $1000 from his estimates. It needs a hood, it needs struts, interior sucks. Depending on the in-person impression it could be from $500 to $2000 for me. Of course your local market can vary.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am off even more than that. Not in good condition, needs work. Hard to sell a beat up old car that needs work, unless the right person comes along. $500 to $1000, maybe $1500 if you are lucky and the timing belt has been done recently and properly with all the needed parts. Sound more like a donor car to me though. Someone buys it for the engine trans and parts.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
TDIs in CA and the PacNW tend to fetch higher prices. Could be the $4 gas and long distances within the state. All of this is guesswork without pictures and maint history. Having spent much of the last 4 months in the greater LA area, I've has a chance to talk to some of the TDI people about prices- but our CA members would certainly know more.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not too many trusted mechanics out there so DIY is almost mandatory or get your wallet cleaned at the dealer. The market for a used car that needs work and isn't in very good condition would seem to be very low, even out there.

Here are some comparable cars:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/napa-2003-vw-jetta-alh-tdi-5-speed/6964345909.html

$3500 but sounds like it is in better shape than the OP's car.

There are a bunch of others but all look to be in better than the OP's described condition. The OP's pictures would help determine a value for sure. With all the better cars available though I would be hard pressed to buy a fixer upper unless that is exactly what I was looking for.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just a word of advice: For some buyers (although fewer and fewer recently) biodiesel is a benefit. For others it's a warning. I'd not include it in advertising.

tdiv

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
There is a decent amount of them available out there: Golf TDI

The prices are all over the place though, not quite sure what to expect to pay. I would guess 2,500 to 4,500/5 for a very clean example.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Just a word of advice: For some buyers (although fewer and fewer recently) biodiesel is a benefit. For others it's a warning. I'd not include it in advertising.
....yep....

Some of us have seen... repeatedly... what the insides of injection pumps and injectors look like with its use. Not always pretty. Generally turns into a smelly, sticky mess when it leaks, too.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think the basics of this car are great. Rust free California car. 5 spd manual with new clutch. However because there are several things that need to be addressed, this is probably a $1-2k car.

Hood dent, new/refurbished interior, new/used injection pump (likely), timing belt, struts, other rubber bushing wear items underneath car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would say that is about $4k worth of work that needs to be done. Greatly exceeding the value of the car. You would have to find someone who really wants one badly and is willing to pay through the nose or DIY to repair all the things that need to be done. That is a very tiny market. In California that may be even smaller after dieselgate. Rust free doesn't mean much when so much else needs to be fixed.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Up north here rust free means everything else is fixable. I do agree however it needs a lot of work and it would need to be a buyer who could do the work and or course was willing to.