Something weird and new

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
So I’m not sure how this happened or what is happening when I’m doing hard pulls 1st to 5th At the end of fourth gear my car acts like it runs out fuel I still have full boost And when I shift into fifth it has no power But full boost mods are vnt 17 race 520s stage 4 tune egr delete cleaned intake 3in exhaust turbo back upgraded side mount intercooler upgraded intercooler plumbing A few more things I can’t think of not sure what’s going on sorry for no punctuation I I am a mechanic not English teacher LOL

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd try replacing the fuel filter. You may have bought a bad tank of fuel, clogging it. I've seen this on track days when using full power, although the car drives fine normally.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
look up keystone mod

there are many ways to do this but my chosen method was to put a few quick tacks with a TIG on the collar. you could also deform it with a punch or just make a wedge.

it really sounds like this might be your problem. I would bet that yours has backed out almost completely.
its easy to check.

first thread i found but there are many many threads about this.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=206384

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Ok I’ll change my fuel filter tomorrow and do some research on the keystone mod thank you guys so much

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You can just pull that out with a socket and check it. Easy peasy

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Well, not quite that easy. Best to buy a cheap 10mm long socket and hammer it slightly flat to get the valve out.

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Ok I pulled the valve it looks like the center valve in monglers photo I pushed it back in did a pull and it popped back out to the same spot looks just like the valve in the center again so do I spot weld it in place or is it supposed to hang out that little bit?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pick whatever works best for you. Weld is tricky and hard to reverse. Making a shim like in the other pictures is best.

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Sorry I haven’t responded in a while fuel filter did not work pushing the clip back and did not work should I try a lift pump? It’s definitely running out of fuel During heavy acceleration

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Believe that case pressure relief valve needs to be able to move, whatever, it don't do much. Sounds like the engine management is not allowing boost. I see you've observed it has boost, how do you know? Maybe check the actuator operation.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so at this point you need to do some logs with vcds and post the boost and fuel map on a graph. this will help shed some light on whats going on

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Ok I will get some up this weekend. What numbers do I need to graph? It’s been a long time since I’ve done it lol

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
logs are up finally woo hoo lol. the second to last log was the last log i did and it did it really bad on that one ifi held the pedal to the floor it steady slowed down and started misfiring boost gauge read 26-27psi the entire pull.shifted into fourth kept misfiring still held 26-27psi but no power.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HUMMMM, im going to have to digest this for a bit, im not big on logs but i am hoping that others can read into this better than i can.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I have chronic low power, not from limp mode. I have some boost but it's laggy and doesn't build until 2300 RPM. Vacuum lines good, new N75, 2 different MAFs. Scratching my head what's going on.

Could this keystone valve issue cause my symptoms?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Na. Keystone mod fixes a problem that comes from high raving power loss at the top end. It usually is not the reason for power loss. Cant hurt to fix it though

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
I thought the keystone mod only did good at idle and low rpms that’s what I found when I was searching about it anyway