Help deciphering MK6 Jetta Sportwagen trims

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I’m looking online for MK6 JSW’s and having a really hard time telling the different trims apart. I was under the impression that the ones with 17” 10 spoke wheels ( the ones that kind of look like an asterisk ) were SE trim and the ones with the 16” 5 spoke split pattern rims were S trim. I also though that the small dash screen stereo with the AUX input on the bottom right of the stereo where the S trim. And that the SEL were the only ones with navigation? Where the 17’s an option on the S as well as getting Navigation on the small screen. Please help. I was looking at what I thought was an SE because it has the 17’s then i notice it has the small dash screen but then I notice that the small screen is displaying Navigation. Please help me clear this up.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Tried to attach pictures but what looks like the paper clip attachment icon has a red X through it for some reason

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
No telling what they did to it, maybe there is some value in buying CPO from a real VW dealer.

My 2012 came off a used car lot, it has 16”s with power leather seats and pano roof, no back up camera. Maybe they changed my wheels. I think they swapped out the stereo deck, it wouldn’t tune into any stations and the unit that came out had a lot of rust and corrosion.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
So after reading the brochure it seems as though all TDI’s are at least SE trim? And you can’t get a DSG in S trim. So if I get a TDI with DSG then it will be at least an SE trim then the radio’s and wheels will depend on the options?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Nope. There is no such thing as an SE trim for the TDI. The trim levels are "Standard", "Sunroof" and "Sunroof and Nav". And as you can see in the brochere there are only 4 variables. The sunroof and nav, obviously as well as the 17" wheels and Kessy.

That's it! The simple option packages make it nice for shopping these used.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Prior to 2012 the 17" Porto alloys were a standalone option and not included automatically with the panoramic roof. The '11 in my signature has the 16" bioline wheels but panoramic roof. All the non-sunroof trims have the 16" bioline wheels.

Canadian cars IIRC had the equivalent of an S trim.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The only thing I’m still having trouble deciphering from the manuals is : so the TDIs with sunroof and navigation come with the smaller screen that has the AUX input on the dash face under the screen and not in the center console. The TDIs with sunroof and no navigation have the larger screen and the AUX input in the center console. So why am I seeing TDI’s with sunroof and no navigation but they have the smaller screen with the AUX on the dash under the screen.
Why is this. That seems very inconsistent on VW’s part. An no this isn’t a one off that someone installed themselves. That may have been the case if it was just one or two vehicles that are like this but ive seen it on multiple vehicles?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would go after one with a solid roof. Everything else can be changed around if you want. You cannot "undo" the giant liability with the pano roof. You're stuck with it. Unless you REALLY want it, I'd go after a lesser trim level without it, and if you really feel you need/want the mediocre in-dash NAV system, you can add it yourself. You can always swap wheels around.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The wife really wants the Pano roof. I’m shying away from it because I hear of all the problems. But then I think to myself... how many people actually go on TDIclub and make a thread about how well their Pano roof is working and how trouble free it is. Probably not many. But if they do have a problem they are quick to make a thread to try to gain information about how to fix it. So if you search all you see is problems with them but I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people are perfectly happy with there trouble free pano roof. It’s just you only hear about it when there is a problem

oilhammer

TDI
No. They really are problematic. Even working properly they bake the inside of the car on a sunny day.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Man you guys are really scaring me away from the pano haha. I just feel like if you keep it properly lubricated ( which many probably don’t ) and run a weed whacker string or a guitar string from the bottom of all four drains to the top and then from the top to the bottom every once and awhile to keep the drains clear i feel like that would go a long way. I feel like the leaking would most likely be caused from clogged drains due to lack of maintenance. Am I just being to optimistic trying to please the wife?

oilhammer

TDI
They are a giant greenhouse in the sun. The shade does not remove all the sunlight, so the interior BAKES, bad, in direct sunlight. They do that all the time, there is no lack of PM that will change that. I am in and out of these cars all the time, every day, the pano roof cars are AWFUL hot inside (this is not limited to the J-wagon, mind you, but the A3 Sportbacks, the Q5, the Q7, etc.).

They love to creak and pop and rattle, especially in the cold. They can be so bad that it makes your brain hurt. In an otherwise quiet interior cabin, this stands out bad. And you can chase the noises, sometimes get them to stop... then they come back. Sometimes you *think* they are gone, then the first time the roof actually gets used, the noise comes back.

The sunshades break and fall of track. Sometimes they manage to mangle themselves up. Much (most) of the interior needs to come apart to get the roof assembly out, and you have to take them out to do almost anything to them.

They have a LOT more "stuff" to them than the conventional sunroof, those are actually usually not too bad. They rarely "break", and as long as you keep them clean and lubed, and use them once in a while, they are fine. Several of my dubs have them, they all work perfectly. And their shade actually blocks 99% of the sun. They are not covered in little holes.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Man you guys are really scaring me away from the pano haha. I just feel like if you keep it properly lubricated ( which many probably don’t ) and run a weed whacker string or a guitar string from the bottom of all four drains to the top and then from the top to the bottom every once and awhile to keep the drains clear i feel like that would go a long way. I feel like the leaking would most likely be caused from clogged drains due to lack of maintenance. Am I just being to optimistic trying to please the wife?
With your being in Tucson, you can use the pano roof as a food dehydrator and have a side business. Maybe you can do jerky and sell it at the farmer's market. Seriously, the leaks will be the least of your issues down there. The shade does not stop much of the sun's heat.