Stock air box removal?

Digilio86

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Graphite 2dr Dsg Golf TDI
Can some point me to a thread that shows how this is done? Doing dsg service and can't seem to figure it out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Urr figured it out. How to delete thread is the question now.
The only way to delete a thread is to ask a moderator. Send a PM to a moderator. A "regular" member does not have the permissions necessary to delete a thread.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DUMB... not having delete capabilities
In most cases members can delete their own posts. The exception to that rule is deleting the first post in a thread (the beginning of the thread). Only a moderator or administrator can delete a complete thread. Whether or not this is a good idea or not - I do not know. It is the way the forum software is written or configured.

Have Fun!

Don

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
You could always add the information you were originally looking for .... Make the thread useful to others rather than deleting it.

Digilio86

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Graphite 2dr Dsg Golf TDI
You are right OilBurningBrit..Well it was really quite easy you remove all the plumbing so you can detach the air box. My issue was once all the obvious screws and attachments where removed the box still wouldn't budge. The air box is also held in place much like our engine cover so a firm pull upwards is needed. No biggy just maybe not obvious to someone that hadn't done this before and that isn't trying to break anything.

Last edited:

crazy_pikachu

TDI
JSW
You are right OilBurningBrit..Well it was really quite easy you remove all the plumbing so you can detach the air box. My issue was once all the obvious screws and attachments where removed the box still wouldn't budge. The air box is also held in place much like our engine cover so a firm pull upwards is needed. No biggy just maybe not obvious to someone that hadn't done this before and that isn't trying to break anything.
Thanks for following through with this thread. I also had difficulty trying to figure it out until I read this. Thought I had reached a dead end on it until I read the reply's

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well, once you ask a question, it is there forever. Just share what you learned and move on............

Most likely, someone can learn from your experience.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tomorrow maybe I'll delete this post I'm making now! That is if this entire thread isn't deleted by the moderator.
I would be happy to delete this thread, if/when the OP requests that it be deleted. Personally, as I see it, the OP posed a question, figured out the answer himself, and then shared what he learned. After a few hesitations, useful information was revealed. Delete you post if you want to, but I won't delete the whole thread unless the person who started it makes the request either here or by PM.

Have Fun!

Don

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
Waste of internet here.... Move along....
The only waste of internet in this thread and other threads are the responses that are not related to the original question, either clarifying the problem or providing an answer to that problem.

I don’t consider this forum to be the place for random social chat. I view it more as a technical resource to learn about our cars and get advice on how to fix or maintain them without so much trial and error.

So questions and answers are helpful, snarky opinions are not.

Last edited:

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
2014 JSW airbox connections

To add a bit more information to this thread, here’s a pic after the airbox came out. The yellow circle is where the 5mm hex head bolt goes, it’s the only threaded fastener that holds the airbox in. The red circles are the two ducts located near the back of the engine compartment, the top duct has a hose clamp, the lower duct just slips off and on. The green circles are the push-on posts that the airbox grommets go onto (like the press-fit engine cover). Once the ducts, bolt and cold air snorkel are loose, the airbox just lifts straight up off these posts. And the blue circle is the end of a hose that crosses over the cold air snorkel. Apparently, that hose is for coolant which starts to drain from both sides as soon as you disconnect it. Not a big issue, just be prepared.

What I’ve posted is the result of me fumbling through the process. If anyone with more experience can provide a tip that makes this job simpler/easier, please chime in.