Mpg 2013 Jetta vs. 2013 passat both tdi's with 6 speed!

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Dealer says passat will get better because of the urea system! I do not agree . I would think Jetta should get better because it's a lighter smaller car ! Looking at buying one or the other here real soon .

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
The Passat will get better fuel mileage. Just check out fuelly.com to see real world numbers.

I get an honest 50mpg on the highway with my Passat 6M. I have never been able to get that with a CR Jetta.

Not only does the Passat have urea injection (which allows the engine to run more efficiently and still meet emission standards), but it also has a different fuel injection system, different turbo, and a different intercooler. All of these things can contribute to greater efficiency in spite of a larger size. By the way the Passat only weighs 200 lbs more than the Jetta.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Yea and as far as used go there not far off in price ! They have a 13 model passat with 23,000 miles for $22,900. I did not know about turbo and larger inter cooler so that does make sense !

mountain-valleymotors

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
The intercooler is not necessarily larger. It is a air to water intercooler instead of an air to air intercooler. It does have a shorter piping run from the turbo to the intake so that makes the engine slightly more responsive to boost pressure. The turbo is smaller as well which creates boost more quickly at the lower rpm ranges. Of course you loose some potential power at the top end of the rpm range, but most people driving a Passat are going to be more interested in the low rpm performance and fuel mileage.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Passat it is then! Wife drove a Jetta home just to see if she likes it . But passat seems to me more for your money with more room and better mpg ! Biggest complaint I can find it the factory tires road noise and poor lumbar support! Not sure if the 2014 model is any differ t then 2013 but better deal on 13 model as far as used goes .

mountain-valleymotors

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Just replace the tires with Michelins or Continentals and you should be fine. The Hankooks are quiet on newer pavement but more noisy on rough pavement. 22,900 doesn't seem like a very good price for a used 2013 with that kind of miles on it already. It is hard to find a used manual trans Passat TDI but with new ones selling for between 24-25k it would seem that you would be better off with a new one.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Just replace the tires with Michelins or Continentals and you should be fine. The Hankooks are quiet on newer pavement but more noisy on rough pavement. 22,900 doesn't seem like a very good price for a used 2013 with that kind of miles on it already. It is hard to find a used manual trans Passat TDI but with new ones selling for between 24-25k it would seem that you would be better off with a new one.
Also something else to consider on your new vs used calculations.

Interest rates.

The interest rates on used cars tend to be higher than the manufacturer offered interest on new cars particularly during the specials. Run the numbers for both over the same length of time, say 60 months, and see what your monthly payment ends up being. You may find you will pay less per month for the 'more' expensive new Passant simply because you're spending less on interest.

At least that was the case with my Jetta at 0.9%

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
In my not so humble opinion, the Passat TDI is a far better car than the Jetta sedan. It's larger interior, more comfortable, better materials, lower usable torque curve, no intercooler icing, larger fuel tank for longer range, and track record of real world Fuelly results say the Passat uses slightly less fuel than the Jetta.

New 2013 Passat SE 6M can be found for under $24k new, I think $3500 off MSRP. I don't know what a comparably equipped Jetta goes for, but $23k-ish for the Passat TDI is a steal! That's like $3k over what any competitor's base 4-cyl goes for, with the SE's equipment.

2014 backupcam standard, though.

zarati

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual
Even a 2014 Passat Tdi Manual can be had for about $25,000 and they have 0.9% financing which helps keep the payment down. The 2013's were a great deal but they are almost non-existent now.

As for the Fuel mileage question, I agree with everything above. Passats do tend to return better average numbers than the Jetta. I'm anxious to see how the new Golf/Jettas do with the new EA288 Engine. Here's to hoping that they can better the Passat's numbers.

Kevinski4

TDI
Dealer says passat will get better because of the urea system! I do not agree . I would think Jetta should get better because it's a lighter smaller car ! Looking at buying one or the other here real soon .
This might be the first time in TDIClub recorded history that the dealer is RIGHT about something!!:D

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
My folks' Passat DSG gets significantly better fuel economy than our manual Jetta wagon.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...there is no doubt that the Passat TDI has good fuel economy potential.............

..........that being said, in a recent trip I-5 N Long Beach to Rocklin.....1800 RPM no a/c, calm winds: 53.3 calculated MPG (not half a tank, not MFI - but trip odometer divided by gallons pumped. Same station, same pump..........

ez

BigNate

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I LOVE my wife's new '13 Passat 6M. We are averaging just under 40MPG (I think fuelly has us at 39.8 at the moment) and we drive it heavy (usually at least 4 adult sized passengers) in mostly city driving. The mileage is climbing steadily as we learn to drive it and it breaks in. On a recent highway trip with 4 adults and a car load of gear - round trip of about 300 miles most of which was at 80ish MPH - we got just under 50MPG.

Other pluses - MUCH more back seat room than my buddy's Jetta.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I LOVE my wife's new '13 Passat 6M. We are averaging just under 40MPG (I think fuelly has us at 39.8 at the moment) and we drive it heavy (usually at least 4 adult sized passengers) in mostly city driving. The mileage is climbing steadily as we learn to drive it and it breaks in. On a recent highway trip with 4 adults and a car load of gear - round trip of about 300 miles most of which was at 80ish MPH - we got just under 50MPG.

Other pluses - MUCH more back seat room than my buddy's Jetta.
Is it just me or is the Passat trunk smaller than the Jetta? (My son has the 2015 Passat and it seems smaller than my 2012 Jetta).