New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Not new here as I got my first TDI, a 1996 Passat station wagon in 1996, Sold my last, a 1999 A4 when I got a 2006 Jeep Liberty in 2006. The Jeep is in perfect condition but today it's going to it's new home replaced by my new certified 2014 JSW originally from NC only has 13k miles. Bought it in Wisconsin, Hall Imports a super dealership, and on the 400+ mile drive home it reported 49.1 MPG:D
The only "mod" I plan is to put USB plugs in the area in front of the gear shift. Having been a "shifter" for many years I love the feel of the DGS transmission;)
Joe

Last edited:

imbrian

TDI
03 jetta wagon
hi im brian

taking gold 03 wagon til i die. had her for 3? years i think, basically was gifted it. drove it when my other rigs were down, gave it no love until last spring. working the biggest fires first im almost done with all brakes and suspension, rust mitigation is bigly lots of patchwork, put on new fenders, rockers, tailgate is in the next week or so......then comes the guts and innards.

this forum(and others o'course) are the only reason i went forth and didnt sell her for 5hundo when i had the chance....absolutely indispensable y'all are. picked up 02 golf from a treeline in may for parts as it had new snows and good wheels, she'll be on the road in about 3weeks. so much for a parts car......she's a 2.slow but i drove her home from her resting place of 18months and the engine and tranny are good to go.....on the road for labor and about 600. okay.

Jomodica

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
Thanks

Hey thanks for the add. I’m new to owning a tdi. Just picked up a 2015 vw Passat tdi sel. After looking through some of the threads on this forum I definitely am going to get a lot out of this page. I’ve never owned a vw or a diesel. I’ve enjoyed is so far in the short 4 days I’ve owned it. Looking forwards to reading more.

TDI
2003 Mk4 Golf
Hey thanks for the add. I’m new to owning a tdi. Just picked up a 2015 vw Passat tdi sel. After looking through some of the threads on this forum I definitely am going to get a lot out of this page. I’ve never owned a vw or a diesel. I’ve enjoyed is so far in the short 4 days I’ve owned it. Looking forwards to reading more.
Welcome to the VW and diesel family mate. Hope this site helps you out and hope you also have fun with that little diesel.

joann521860

TDI
2002 Jetta
Wrong gas leads to parting out ‘02 TDI Jetta

Hi All!
First and foremost, thank you for adding me.
I own an ‘02 TDI Jetta. It only has around 150K miles. I mistakenly used that E40 gas/oil to my gas tank. Ugh!!! Needless to say, the car started and immediately shut down. *A purposeful reaction by the car company for people like me that make these horrific mistakes. A friend and lifelong mechanic (who was not a regular diesel guy) offered to replace the fuel filter, drain the E40, etc. to get the car running again. The car ran for about 15 minutes and has not started since. It did, however, start a few times when starter spray was used. It has been sitting in the garage since. It has been over a year now. I need to ditch the car at this point. All the tires are flat from sitting and my son accidentally shot out the rear passenger window with his air gun. I can simply “scrap” the car and have it towed away, but the thought of that is killing me. It was such an amazing car! I know the original owner, who immaculately took care of it. It was my intention to drive it for, at the very least, 100K more miles. My question to you all is this: Wouldn’t it be better to sell the car for parts? Knowing what I did wrong, I feel the rest of the car parts would serve someone else better than sending it to be crushed for steel scrap. I’d love some input! Maybe tell me if a “fix” is possible and/or worth it, and also about letting someone else who needs the parts purchase the vehicle. Thank You in advance for any and all input or advice!! Truly appreciated!! -JoAnn

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It might be worth trying a more thorough flush to include the IP and injectors as well as the tank and filter. You can only hope there is no permanent damage or maybe you know there is. Starter spray not designated for diesel can cause damage.

Bill McLachlan

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I am new to the sight. Have 2015 golf tdi and tried to change a headlight bulb. Followed a video from the web which required removing the entire unit. Bulb is replaced but have a few bits left over. Cannot seem to find a shop manual for reference. Can anyone help?
Bill

mudman33

TDI
Mk6 Jetta Sportwagen
I am new to the sight. Have 2015 golf tdi and tried to change a headlight bulb. Followed a video from the web which required removing the entire unit. Bulb is replaced but have a few bits left over. Cannot seem to find a shop manual for reference. Can anyone help?

Bill

What are the bits left over? A photo would help.

pearing

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
New tdi owner...

Bought a slightly used 2015 tdi Golf wagon this summer. Really disliked the dealer experience, but loving the car! I would show a picture, but so far no joy figuring that out here... I will have lots of questions I am sure.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Posting photos/links
Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls. For large data use the thumbnail, it shows the full size when clicked.
More complete instructions in my signature.

crashderby

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium
Noob.

Heya folks. My name is Jessica, located in the bottom coastal corner of Georgia. I have been through a lot of different cars over my years but never a diesel (car or truck). I bought a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (if that makes a difference) to daily drive bc my Jeep was killing my wallet.

I've owned an 06 Jetta (not TDI) before and hated it. I love this car so far though. I've got a million questions but I will search through the forum first and see what I can find, although I've never really done forum's before and it's almost information overload.

I'm here for maintenance facts and suggestions, troubleshooting when it's needed, and other low-key recommendations... not so much suping it up and making it fancy.

Sorry in advance for dumb questions. I've learned Jeep maintenance but car talk is foreign to me, and I'm throwing diesel in on top of that.

Italjohn

TDI
AFN
Hi guys.
Johnny from Norway here.
I have a Vanagon T3/25 with an AAZ engine in for now, but want to upgrade to an AFN.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Heya folks. My name is Jessica, located in the bottom coastal corner of Georgia. I have been through a lot of different cars over my years but never a diesel (car or truck). I bought a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (if that makes a difference) to daily drive bc my Jeep was killing my wallet.
I've owned an 06 Jetta (not TDI) before and hated it. I love this car so far though. I've got a million questions but I will search through the forum first and see what I can find, although I've never really done forum's before and it's almost information overload.
I'm here for maintenance facts and suggestions, troubleshooting when it's needed, and other low-key recommendations... not so much suping it up and making it fancy.
Sorry in advance for dumb questions. I've learned Jeep maintenance but car talk is foreign to me, and I'm throwing diesel in on top of that.
The official maintenance schedule for your car is here:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2012_Jetta.pdf

They are all posted there in the same location:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=372242

Oil to be used is 507 rated oil. Any oil with this spec can be used and can be found at most if not all dealers. We have our own providers as well and they can be found down the page in the vendor for sale section.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I have done lots of business with Idparts:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=501448

and Dieselgeek:
https://www.dieselgeek.com/

and some others with great success and satisfaction over the years. They sell parts and kits for the things you will need as well as the few special tools that may be needed.

Your local forum can be found here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

The trusted mechanics thread is here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

and the list of those who have the diagnostic tool by Ross Tech is located here:
http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator

Just to get you started off right. Welcome to the club!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

Check out the full list of forums at forums.TDIClub.com, there will be a model specific forum for your car, plus others of interest.
Welcome!

batch1978

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Rear main seal 7 days to repait

Hello,
New here, I just picked up a 2013 Passat TDI CPO. I got it on Friday the 13 of all days and I took it to the dealer 18 hours later on Saturday because I noticed oil on my garage floor. The dealer told me it was the rear main seal and the would fix it under the warranty. They gave me a loaner Jetta. My question is how long does it take to fix a rear main seal? I took it in on the 14SEP and called them Tuesday for an update. They told me it might be ready on the 21st!! A week at the dealer ?. Even though covered by the warranty, I should still get paperwork showing what work was done to it correct? if anything, to have down the road if anything happens again. Thanks in advance. Make me wonder if they are trying to fix something else and not tell me

mendo011

TDI
Sportswagen
You’ll be fine. You have 2 years unlimited miles. If it was installed incorrectly, it would show up sooner than later. Just drive it a lot.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You have a loaner so you shouldn't be concerned. The repair itself could be fixed in an afternoon more than likely (1/2 days work). Either they didn't have the parts on hand or your car spent a lot of time waiting its turn. You should get paperwork showing the parts used/replaced and the labor/work performed just like any time your car goes to a dealer/mechanic.

glester

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Hi everybody. New member and new owner of a 2013 Passat TDI 6M (really hard to find) that I bought in California and drove back to Washington. I know it doesn't come with the emissions warranty, but for under $6k...I couldn't pass it up. I'm looking forward to interacting with this community. Looking to possibly doing DPF and EGR delete and ECU tune in the future to unleash it a bit.

Thanks,
Greg

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Welcome to TDI Club glester!
Couple thoughts;
Thought all the buy back TDIs ha emissions warranty, if not, it may be not fixed, which could be a gem, unless you have government inspection requirements.
I was looking to buy one of these newer TDIs as well, didn't see many in the multitude of used car for sale places. Where are they?

glester

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Welcome to TDI Club glester!
Couple thoughts;
Thought all the buy back TDIs ha emissions warranty, if not, it may be not fixed, which could be a gem, unless you have government inspection requirements.
I was looking to buy one of these newer TDIs as well, didn't see many in the multitude of used car for sale places. Where are they?
The 2012-2014 Passats with Manual Transmissions don't have an approved fix from the EPA. So any that were bought back are not available for sale anywhere. The only ones that are available are the ones that people kept (decided not to sell back to VW)...which apparently isn't very many. In terms of smog checks and other emissions testing, this car is from CA and it passed the smog test just fine. The tests that exist in states is different that the testing that is done at the federal EPA level. So these cars, even without the "fix" still pass the emissions testing at the state levels (unless there is some other issue). In Washington, there isn't any emissions testing on small diesel vehicles...and emission testing overall is ending at the end of this year.

When I enter my VIN into the https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/ page, it states the following:

Volkswagen Emissions Modification Programs
Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement: YES
Modification Approved by EPA and CARB: NO
Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN): NOT APPLICABLE
Vehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty: NOT APPLICABLE
Vehicle Eligibility and Emissions Modification Status:
The vehicle entered is included in the VW/Audi Diesel Emissions Settlement.

An emissions modification has not been approved for this vehicle by EPA and CARB.

Last edited:

gramby

TDI
2011 Jetta sportwagen
Just bought a 2011 jsw last week. Been scrounging the forum since trying to get oil types straight and some general performance tips.

Last edited:

Tdifridays

TDI
03' volkswagen jetta tdi 181k
Hi im mike and i got my first diesel car this year 03 vw jetta tdi alh 180k.
And have many questions and one issue bugging me.
Bought the car for 800 and i fixed the trans
But its throwing white smoke but very little.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mendo011

TDI
Sportswagen
Hi everybody. New member and new owner of a 2013 Passat TDI 6M (really hard to find) that I bought in California and drove back to Washington. I know it doesn't come with the emissions warranty, but for under $6k...I couldn't pass it up. I'm looking forward to interacting with this community. Looking to possibly doing DPF and EGR delete and ECU tune in the future to unleash it a bit.

Thanks,
Greg

Why no warranty?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

zipitie.nz

TDI
MK2 Golf 1.9TDI Firad 80% 2260VKLR
Hey yo, Anton here,

Had many of VW over the years Diesel and Petrol alike.

Currently have a MK2 Golf Diesel which has been upgraded to a 1.9 TDI (PD130) with a 5 Speed 02R Gearbox with LSD etc..

The engine also packs Firad 80% injectors and currently a 2260VK Turbo, Soon to be 2260VKLR

wegnerR-VW

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagen
New TDI owner needs help identifying mystery object

Hi,

I am a new member and proud owner of a 2013 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen. This TDI is in excellent condition with only 48,000 kms. I am trying to make sure that it lasts so I spent the weekend rustproofing the car by spraying Krown rustproofing. I removed all of the inner fender liners, the 2 underfloor panels and the front bumper so I could spray underneath them. I am now a lot more familiar with the car then when I started. :)

After I was finished I noticed a small black object laying on the ground where I was working on the car. It must have fallen out when I removed one of the panels but I have no idea what it is or where it was hiding. If anyone can figure out what this mystery object is I would really appreciate help in identifying it. All I can say about it is that it is completely sealed and has a wire on one end which seems to not have been attached to anything. It is wrapped with body caulking which would have held it in place until I removed what ever panel it was hiding under.

I am not sure how to attach a photo so you can see a photo of the mystery object on this webpage - http://bristolhops.ca/images/VW_TDI/thingamajig.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

FrankoA3

TDI
Audi A3 8p
Hello, My name is Franko. I came from Island Rab, Croatia.
I drive an Audi A3 8p 1.9 TDI.
Recently I have install : hybrid turbo ( from company GOTTUNED : https://gottuned.com/product/hybrid-turbo-stage-2-gt1749v-vag-audi-seat-skoda-vw-1-9-2-0-tdi/ ) , bigger intercooler, MAP sensor 2,5bar, straight pipe exhaust, pipercross air filter, egr off.
With custom map on dyno is measured 186ps ( stock is 105ps ) and 360nm.
Other mods : coilovers, 19" BBS Speedline, cupra front lip, exclusive interior
Here are some pics!

cute baby boy middle names 2016

Last edited: