www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 16th, 2019, 05:57   #5056
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
'Lithium is another ecological disaster. It takes 500,000 gallons of water to produce a single ton of lithium.'

1 ton of Lithium is enough for ~100 BEVs which will each displace >4,000 gallons of oil. That's ~400,000 gallons of oil. Last I heard here in TX/NM we need ~50 gallons of frack water to extract 1 gallon of oil. So we can use 20,000,000 gallons of water for ICE or ~500,000 gallons of water for EVs.... and we should get that lithium back at EOL... whenever that is.

Material shortages are overblown. Proven reserves of key materials are higher today than they were 20 years ago because we're still finding them faster than they're being mined.
Water also doesn't just vanish into nothing when it is used as a part of some process. If the process involves removing lithium salts from seawater, the water is still water after the salts have been removed (and the compounds that you are not interested in can be put back in - sodium chloride, for example).
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 09:58   #5057
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TDICommuter View Post
The AC in the eGolf is quite good too. Wish they managed the cooling/heating of the cells though. Hope this car doesn't turn into another example like the Leaf where the batteries degraded quickly from not being managed thermally.
I had a 2016 for three years in all year round desert heat (south of Palm desert area) and didn't notice any degradation by the time I returned it. Maybe a month or two of sub 50 degree weather but the rest of the year temperatures ranged between 80-110.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 07:43   #5058
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Water also doesn't just vanish into nothing when it is used as a part of some process. If the process involves removing lithium salts from seawater, the water is still water after the salts have been removed (and the compounds that you are not interested in can be put back in - sodium chloride, for example).
Or, you can package the sodium chloride and sell it for high dollars as a "designer" salt.
Old September 17th, 2019, 22:41   #5059
03TDICommuter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
I had a 2016 for three years in all year round desert heat (south of Palm desert area) and didn't notice any degradation by the time I returned it. Maybe a month or two of sub 50 degree weather but the rest of the year temperatures ranged between 80-110.
Good to know, thanks for the feedback. VW did change battery vendors in 2017 and went with higher capacity cells (I think in the same overall space). Hope the current cells are as good as the old ones.
03TDICommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 04:49   #5060
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d
Default EV's are as sustainable as computers and smart phones?

I’m forever reading about cars and a concept came up of interest: The decision to repair or replace a car should not be only what the car is worth compared to the repair cost. It’s better to base the decision partly on what it costs to replace the car, as you are probably aware by now, especially expensive EV's. This is why I value really nice cars which rarely go below, say, $5000 in resale value and are usually worth putting in a $2,000 repair if they satisfy my needs and desires. If you keep your car up to “new car” standards, it might actually be worth $3000 or maybe more. But the car needs to be useful to me so breaking down every few months or worse, having skimpy repair support (read: Tesla) is a reason for me to replace it with a new one that I can pamper and keep “like new” for a longer time. See: https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...ty-considered/
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 06:27   #5061
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Tesla's dodgy parts availability and repairability in general is not an EV problem - it's a Tesla problem.
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:40   #5062
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

There are people who drive fairly decent $1500 cars and when something major goes out they buy another fairly decent $1500 car. I did this for years when I was young. Get used to whatever is available though and usually old dead peoples cars. I have bought many decent low priced cars from family estates.

We also have the issue down here where there are those who buy an inexpensive car that has a relatively fresh registration on it then never registers it or insures it then sells it again before the registration expires. Then buys another one of the same as described.

Part of the issue of whether to fix or not is not having a trustworthy mechanic known to you. Most would rather buy new than chance spending big money on a repair they can't have confidence that the job was done correctly. One of the reasons I sold my 2003 Beetle that I had runonbeer do lots of work on. When he moved away it was better for me to buy the stop sale 2015 Beetle with the long warranty than try and deal with unknown mechanics to get any work done on it.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; Yesterday at 12:49.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote