www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 10th, 2019, 07:58   #1
Beanz

Fuel Economy: 2001 golf: Don’t spend a dime it sits in the driveway, 2005 golf: 900-1000km/tank
Default Alh to bew swap

I have a 2001 golf 2dr 220000km, with upgraded injectors, S7 turbo, upgraded intercooler and plumbing, Old Man Intake, 3 turbo back exhaust, ARP head studs sitting in driveway because it sat unregistered for over a year and needs to pass a safety inspection before it could be put back on the road. I have my doubts it would pass with all the parts installed....
I have since purchased a 2005 4dr golf 390000km, stock(kerma dog collar to fix boost pipe issue).
I would like to swap the ALH into the 2005 as well as an 11mm pump I picked up out of an automatic.
I am looking for tips/advice from people having done swaps for compatibility issues, and what would be plug and play... thank you in advance for any help!
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:04   #2
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

If you have emissions, I think they can tell when you swap an older engine into a newer car. IF it can be done, you'll have to move literally everything in the engine bay. Harness, ecm, engine.. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I've never seen it done.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:14   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

First, you'd need to check with your local authorities. Here, it is technically not legal to put an older engine into a newer vehicle. But if nobody is "checking" anything, like a gov't inspection, etc., then....

Second, if you were to do this, you'd essentially need to gut each car and transfer EVERYTHING over, as much of the electrical bits will be different. It would probably be easier to do it that way so you do not miss anything, anyway. But if you were to really do a lot of digging and pouring over wiring diagrams, there is plenty that is the same.

Third, I would consider just keeping the BEW. They are mod friendly, actually, and can run really, really well. A mild tune, VNT17, PD130 intake, and they are pretty impressive.
Old September 12th, 2019, 00:30   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

What? Since when? It's just some paperwork. You have to register the engine swap with the title for the car. Not a big deal. The SBC 350 is old af and its swapped into cars and trucks all the time, ls1, 454bb, I mean the list is basically endless. You can do what ever you want if you file the correct paperwork.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:43   #5
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Depends on where you're at man. Where I'm at, it's not going to pass emissions. Can't put an older engine in a newer car, excluding if it's the same engine family. (2000 ALH in a 2003 for example)
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:09   #6
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 ALH Golf

Here is the story as best as I can remember it. Keep in mind that this information is based on a manual transmission. An automatic will throw a curve at you, and I haven't looked into the possibility of doing that.

Mechanical:

Everything bolts up just the way it should.

Fuel:

You will need the lines from filter to IP.

Electrical:

Replace both engine bay harnesses and ECU. Get the immobilizer disabled.

To use the lift pump, connect the Black/White wire (On ECU connector T121 Pin 120) from the IP shut off solenoid to terminal 85 of a relay. Ground terminals 86 and 30, and connect terminal 87 to the White connector in the plenum T10w Pin 7. This is necessary because the ALH uses +12V to operate the fuel shut off while the BEW uses a switched ground to operate the lift pump relay.

If you don't use the lift pump, just change the in tank pickup. No electrical changes are needed.

Exhaust:

The downpipe will bolt up to the turbo, but if you remove the oxygen sensor, plug the sensor bung. Auto parts stores can supply the plugs.

Plumbing:

Because of the different placement of accessories, both lines to the AC compressor and power steering pump need to be swapped, as well as the coolant line from the metal tube to the reservoir.

This means you will have to refill the steering fluid, and evacuate, then recharge the AC after replacing the drier.

The accordion tube from the air filter to turbo inlet tube needs to be swapped due to length difference.

The vacuum line to the brake booster is also different and needs to be swapped.

Inside car:

No changes needed. Everything works if immobilizer is disabled.

Equipped with VCDS and a hoist in a heated shop.
I was told I have every tool known to man.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:08   #7
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
What? Since when? It's just some paperwork. You have to register the engine swap with the title for the car. Not a big deal. The SBC 350 is old af and its swapped into cars and trucks all the time, ls1, 454bb, I mean the list is basically endless. You can do what ever you want if you file the correct paperwork.
Wrongo, every State, Province has different rules. Many have been caught out doing what you do, to find out they've wasted their time and money. Best to ask first before starting the job.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:09   #8
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Third, I would consider just keeping the BEW. They are mod friendly, actually, and can run really, really well. A mild tune, VNT17, PD130 intake, and they are pretty impressive.
This^^^^
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote