2012 Sportwagon Rear Door Electrical Issue

StikyPaws312

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a 2012 TDI sportwagon, 73k miles, all maintenance done up to date, Kerma TDI tune, Polar FIS module and other small upgrades.....now to the problem, nothing on the rear driver side door works. Well to be fair the speakers work, but the window doesn't, the lock doesn't, the door open switch doesn't, the lock switch doesn't light up..

Thankfully the window is in the up position (gotta look for the silver lining!) the window switch on the door or on the drivers door does nothing (I don't hear the motor even try to move). The door also does not lock, either when the switch at the door itself is pressed, the driver side lock switch, or the key fob, nothing happens on that door. When I open the door the interior lights do not turn on and the dash screen doesn't indicate that the door is open. The lock/unlock switch does not light up. The speakers (both on the door) however DO work.

This led me to believe that it was a power issue.... no power to the door, something was wrong with a fuse or the cable or wire run to the door. If it was a fuse it would have been a global problem it seems, so crossed that off the list (I still took a look at all the fuses just to be safe, all fine). So I took the boot back and checked on the wiring at the door hinge everything looks fine, no degradation in any insulation, no cracking, no burn areas, no arcing noticed. I then took the door panel off and checked the power at the main door module connector, there's power! (Not what I expected, but ok...)

So I thought my problem was that module. I removed it and the window motor and just for fun I took the module off of the motor itself. I put 12 volts to the window motor in both directions and it works perfectly.... so has to be the module right?

Wrong :eek: ordered a new module/window motor since they only come as one piece. Went and installed it today and still the problem persists. :mad:

Any ideas? I've search a couple of different forums, done countless google searches, youtube vids, consulted 2 friends who also work on their VWs and all are at a loss. I'm about to bring it to the dealership but I really don't want to admit defeat, lol. Help? Please? Anyone? Lol. :confused::confused:

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
I would look and see if the circuit switches the ground for control. I’m not familiar with VW electrical systems yet, but some systems always have power and control the ground, especially high current circuits and solid state switching circuits.

StikyPaws312

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Thank you, I checked all the grounds and they're good.... at this point I'm thinking it's a signal wire problem for a second module that must not be in the door (behind the dash maybe? No idea).

Anyone know if there is a second module somewhere that connects the signal coming from the main computer to the door?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I think the front door module controls the rear door. Might be a break going into the front door?