www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old September 9th, 2019, 10:49   #1
Natty

Default 2001 2.5 i5 TDi LT35

After years of bemoaning the limited practicality of the North American pick-up truck as a true work vehicle, I decided to get an LT with 3-sided dump (3-seiten kipper).

It arrived in Hfx in August 2016 and after a little dancing with customs and NS motor vehicles (to get a temporary transit permit), I drove it back to NB.

Registering the truck turned out to be an adventure - only one ever in the province, so Service New Brunswick had to have their IT department add the vehicle to their database before I could register.

Over the last two years, the truck has turned out to be a very useful work vehicle and, for an 18-yr old truck, fairly reliable. The downside is that when something does break, parts frequently need to be ordered from Europe (engine), but not always - much of the brake/steering/suspension/frame systems are shared with the MB/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter, so parts are available here.

As a work truck, it is an ideal configuration:
- The box bed is 3m x2m (roughly 9' x 6.5') and, with the canopy off and rails down can be used as a flatbed.
- though we most frequently dump to the rear, the ability to dump to the side has come-in handy in tight places.
- The cabin is huge (you can put 8' lumber in the cab), but would benefit from a rear door on the drivers side {later models have doors on both sides}.
- the gearing of the transmission is impressive. The 2.5 TDi puts out 80kW (~109 bhp), but the truck carries a 1.5tonne payload without struggling.

If I were to do it over, I'd opt for the LT46 or LT/Crafter 50 - same physical dimensions, but with a larger load capacity (up to 5-tonne).

Last edited by Natty; September 9th, 2019 at 10:56.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 11:48   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That is pretty sweet. Did they (Dodge/Freightliner) not sell the Sprinters there starting around 2003 like they did here? I know we only got a single cab chassis/cab configuration (or of course the various vans). And of course they were all automatic.
Old September 9th, 2019, 16:38   #3
Natty

We had both the MB Sprinters and rebadged Dodge/Freightliner, but primarily the vans with a few box vans. All the Chryslers were automatic as were most of the Sprinters.

I wanted something more practical than a pickup for carrying plywood and sheetrock, but the 3-way dump is the star feature ... no more "hand-bombing" debris off the truck or having to pull a dump trailer along.

I just wish our import laws would allow me to bring a newer one over ... there was some noise that CETA would eventually make that possible, but I've not seen any movement yet.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote