CEL - 2013 Treg TDI

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
So I do not daily drive my Treg. Main use is road trips. Vehicle has just over 30K miles (changed oil/filter and fuel filter then) and not long ago I needed to refill the DEF tank (put in 5 gallons) and since then I have had a CEL light.

What scanners are out there to at least check what the CEL is? Or should I just sacrifice my pride and take it to the dealer. I have some road trips coming up and would like this resolved. Car seems to run/drive fine, but the display mpg seem bit lower than normal for warm weather driving

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Not going the Ross Tech route, I am not planning to ever get that hands on with this vehicle. It's beyond my mechanical capabilities.

I forgot I had a cheap code reader at home. Two codes, $7E9 A/T and $7E8 Engine. I cleared both and have driven it 30 miles with no CEL coming back on so I will call that a win. I need to translate the codes my reader gave me somehow. Have't gotten that far yet, my code reader would not give me anymore info past that

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I am pretty happy with OBDeleven, can read and clear all codes, lookup references and make changes like I enabled my key fob to be able to lock the doors from outside with the engine running and to be able to open/close windows with the key fob......
Course if you are really frugal and have an Android device you can get Torque Pro for $5 and a cheap ELM27 Bluetooth adapter. It will read your generic codes and some of your live data, and you can configure your own live monitoring by manually setting up PIDs found here on the forum. I generally run Torque Pro just to keep me informed of coolant temps, egts and regen status.

Last edited:

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Not going the Ross Tech route, I am not planning to ever get that hands on with this vehicle. It's beyond my mechanical capabilities.

I forgot I had a cheap code reader at home. Two codes, $7E9 A/T and $7E8 Engine. I cleared both and have driven it 30 miles with no CEL coming back on so I will call that a win. I need to translate the codes my reader gave me somehow. Have't gotten that far yet, my code reader would not give me anymore info past that

If you have a Harbor Freight available to you, they have a series of 3 hand helds at varying prices. These should be able to at least read the OBD codes but their ability to diagnose is limited because of the uniqueness of the computer design in the VW stuff. Don't expect too much though!

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Sometimes just simply driving the vehicle fixes CELs. My 2012 fixed one sat at VW for two years. When I 1st got it, light came on several times. I reset them, and suddenly it quit coming on some time ago, by just regularly driving it.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Turns out it was one of my front O2 sensors. Got that and the DEF heating element replaced under warr/recall

I found out something I found odd. Apparently DEF has a shelf life. I put 5 gallons in mine a few months ago and maybe 1500 miles and the PH was low. Not that it matters since the tanks needed to be drained for the new element. Just found that odd since AdBlue is AdBlue. Hoping to delete all that nonsense once the warr is expired.