Problem with DG Oil Bypass Filter Kit

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Earlier this year I purchased several of the dieselgeek products for my 2003 Jetta TDI ALH, which I'm very happy with, including the oil bypass filter kit with the valve cover return. I'm having an oil leaking problem due to the Kynar tubing, and I hope someone can suggest a remedy.

Here's the link to the dieselgeek product: http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=462

The oil leak occurs at the Kynar tubing connection on top of the aluminum bypass filter base. Thinking that I may have accidentally cut the original Kynar tubing too short that was provided with the kit, thus causing the leak, I purchased more Kynar tubing from U.S. Plastics Corp. Last night, I cut a new piece of tubing that was slightly longer than the original, making sure that the ends were as square as possible, and installed. I pushed the tubing into the fittings as far as humanly possible as directed in the bypass instructions, started up the car, and everything seemed fine. I then put the engine cover back on.

This morning on the way to work I stopped halfway, popped the hood, took off the engine cover, and discovered oil on top of the aluminum filter base again. Ugh!! So at this point I'm not sure what to do to stop the leaking, and hope someone can suggest a fix. One thing I thought of is to leave the engine cover off or modify it in some way because I'm thinking that it may be pressing on the Kynar tubing and thus compromising the seal in the fitting. I'll try this on my way home from work, and hope for no oil leaking.

I'm sort of surprised by this Kynar tubing approach for the oil return. It seems to me that the hard Kynar will never seal correctly to the metal fitting on top of the aluminum bypass filter base. I'm curious as to why a fitting similar to the teflon-lined braided stainless oil feed line wasn't used for the return line to prevent such problems.

So, can anyone make any suggestions? If I can't get the oil to stop leaking then I'll have no choice but to remove the bypass. Since I chose the valve cover return option, having to uninstall the bypass filter means I would need to purchase a new valve cover. Not ideal.

I did send the owner of dieselgeek an e-mail describing my problem, but thought that maybe someone in the TDI Club community might have experienced the same problem and come up with a fix. I know the easy answer is to leave the engine cover off, but if possible I don't want to do that.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
There is an o-ring fix for it. He changed it early on. Just call Jim and he'll tell you how to fix it.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
rocketeer928 said:
The oil leak occurs at the Kynar tubing connection on top of the aluminum bypass filter base. Thinking that I may have accidentally cut the original Kynar tubing too short that was provided with the kit, thus causing the leak, I purchased more Kynar tubing from U.S. Plastics Corp. Last night, I cut a new piece of tubing that was slightly longer than the original, making sure that the ends were as square as possible, and installed. I pushed the tubing into the fittings as far as humanly possible as directed in the bypass instructions, started up the car, and everything seemed fine. I then put the engine cover back on.
Rocketeer928

1) Since there is still a leak, after replacing the tubing, are you sure the fitting is not leaking where it threads into the aluminum plate?

2) I do not have this same setup on my bypass filter, so I do not know the brand of fitting or tubing used. But for work, I do work with like fittings and tubing. If this tubing is a softer tube, it is harder to push in all the way through the o-ring to be a good seal. Wetting the tube first, in this case with motor oil, will help. See item #4 at the bottom of page two of this PDF file at: http://www.norgren.com/document_resources/USA/us_pneufit_C_inch_brochure.pdf
This fitting has a lip seal in place of an o-ring, but most fittings use an o-ring. FYI the fitting link I used is only good to 140'F. Motor oil may go over 200'F.

3) If the tube is all the way into the fitting, the o-ring in the fitting maybe damaged and/or missing. New fittings can have a bad o-ring. But very rare.

DG has always been great to order from for everything I have ordered, and I am sure he will work with you to get this issue fixed.

Ben

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Jim at dieselgeek called me and told me about the improved o-rings, which he is sending to me. Thanks mctdi for the response. If the new and improved o-rings don't work out then I'll look deeper into your suggestions.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Rocketeer-----I'm confident that Jim's fix will make you happy. the exact same thing
happened to me and now there's no leaking whatsoever. Good Luck! Nick in BC

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
FYI, Jim @ DG is an awesome guy to deal with. I too have had a couple leaks over the last couple years using the kit. He has sent me two o-ring kits, free of charge.

The swivel base on the aluminum bracket can be replaced by a brass 90* Watson brand unit from Home Depot, with a crush washer that is reusable. I have switched to that about 8 months ago, no leaks since.

I think it was model A-129 brass fitting, not quite sure. Jim will clarify it for you.

Good luck.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, talk about resurrecting a thread from three years ago...

As of two years ago, I have
upgraded with a stainless steel braided oil outlet hose to replace the Kynar tubing and fittings. See my TDI's Post Nr. 81 and Post Nr. 82.

Last edited:

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
He makes a batch, not sure how many, sells them all, and hopefully makes another batch for you! Send him a cool email saying that you are patiently waiting for the next batch. If enough requests come through . . . hopefully more will be made.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
They have not been available for about 18 months.