VW's rust warranty?

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Can anyone tell me whether there was a rust warranty on VW cars in the 1998 model year? My Jetta has rust perforations in the floor near the drain plugs; I have just discovered this and am NOT pleased at all! I have heard of 10 and 15 year perforation warranties, but I'm not sure what years that is/was in effect for. Many thanks!

Chris

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
That sounds right. I don't think the 10yr deal kicked in 'til the Mk4 cars showed up. I know our B4 Passat was 6yrs.

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Thanks, gents. I called VW and indeed, my A3 Jetta had just 6 years rust warranty. The NBs and Passats of that model year had longer rust warranties (???). Not sure what that's all about, but there you have it.

I was also told that the warranty applied only to perforations that started from the inside and worked outward... in other words, they can probably talk their way out of any rust claim if they so desire. You can have a fender or rocker rust thruogh entirely, and unless they can be convinced that the corrosion came from the inside outward, it's not covered. Go figure!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
They have repaired my Moms 96 golf around the back window 2 times so far. They said they would do the work this was just under the 6 years, But tried to say they would not warranty the work if they just cut away the rust around the window but would warranty it if SHE paid for a new rear door 400$. I went over and had a talk with the body shop manager about it and he said he would warranty any work he did for the life of the car or as long as she owns it. well 3 years ago the rust started coming back out again just as I knew it would and she takes the car back and the adjuster who tells her it is her problem so I make another trip back over to the manager and as soon as I started to say something about it was told to bring the car in for repairs. They will mess with you if you do not go after them.