TDI Wont turn over

Davinciad

TDI
2002 vw jet tdi
I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI, about 117,000 miles on it.

So leading up to it for about two days I was getting horrible gas mileage. Then I came home one day turned off my car left for about 1 hour then cam back out and it won't turn over. Lights and dash, even radio all come on but when I turn the key I just hear a single click from the engine compartment then nothing else. Other than the mileage the car was running just fine and started just as normal. 2 weeks prior to this my engine light came on and I had it check out and they said it was my third glow plug was bad or going bad cant remember, but I didn't get it fixed. I have tried to jump it with no success. I believe my timing belt is overdue for a change to but not sure, it was unclear from the seller if it had been replaced before I bought it. Hopes this help let me know if you need any more info.

Also the battery in it is only about 3 months old.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Probably the starter motor or a bad connection, it sounds like the solonoid is clicking but the starter motor isn't budging. Check the battery volts first, they should be 12.5 there abouts, if not then there's not enough power in it to crank the engine. If the volts are fine check the connection on the starter and make sure there's the same volts there too.:)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I hope you are not getting any gas mileage. You have a diesel. :D

How old is the battery? Has anyone checked both ends of all battery cables?
While I don't think it is the primary reason for a problem, I suggest having that glowplug issue addressed. It should not be an expensive maintenance and it could help your problem.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
There is a 3" piece of heavy wire from the solenoid to the starter which frequently corrodes off and causes the symptoms you describe. It is bare copper, and is probably green and crumbling. Just get your finger behind it and give a bit of a tug. If it crumbles and breaks in half you have found the problem. I don't know of a cure for this other than a new starter, but it will get you going again.

Paul