TDI cold starting, starter motor wont turn then suddenly springs into life

leehairy

TDI
Ibiza TDI 130
Seat IBIZA 130 TDI
2002 Model
UK

Can anyone help me, I have an ununsual problem trying to start my Ibiza in colder temperatures (-1 Celcius and below).

Sometimes i have to turn the key and hold it 20-30 times before eventually the starter motor will even turn. When it does turn 99% of the time the car immediately jumps into life.

The car runs normal as soon as it starts, but even if it runs for a few minutes. If i turn the ignition off - the whole procedure has to be repeated.

Basically my early morning start procedure is

1) Turn key - till glow plug light turns off
2) Turn key fully into the engine start position....nothing...not a murmur here..
3) Hold the key in the engine start position
4) Wait 30secs or until my hands hurt
5) Start the procedure all over again.20/30 times
6) Eventually the car will just fire into life (2) as the key is held, without warning. Once the starter motor spins, it starts

Has anyone got any ideas - everytime i take it to my dealer, they tell me nothing is wrong with it. I know it will alway start but sitting int the care for 20-30mins everyday turning the key is begininng to annoy me.

Thanks

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Sounds like a bad contact somewhere. Easiest way to test is to remove the solenoid pigtail at the starter and test with a test light while someone turns the ignition switch. That would be a good start.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I second ninedee's recommendation. You probably have a bad ignition switch.

leehairy

TDI
Ibiza TDI 130
Thanks for the help guys...

But if it is a case of a bad starter switch or bad connection, why would it only manifest itself in colder weather..

Do i test the ignition switch or the starter motor connector?

Thanks again

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
try bypassing the ignition switch by jumpering from the battery pos to the solenoid. If it consistently turns over, then I would start looking at the ignition switch and wiring to the solenoid.

mucklechumps

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4 DR
tditom said:
try bypassing the ignition switch by jumpering from the battery pos to the solenoid. If it consistently turns over, then I would start looking at the ignition switch and wiring to the solenoid.
I'm having the same problem- starter wont turn over. I made a jumper out of light guage wire and alligator clips. I jumped from the back of the solenoid (the terminal where the black and red wire connect) to the positive. I got a small spark (very small) and no turn over of starter. Am I doing this correctly?

Thanks.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
does your car have a clutch switch that needs to be closed for start?

mucklechumps

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4 DR
tditom said:
does your car have a clutch switch that needs to be closed for start?
OH!
that might be it. I actually just put the volt meter to the solenoid pigtail (red and black wire) and turned the key. I got 12.5 volts. I tapped the starter with a hammer and got a very anemic turn-over, then nothing.
I think I need a massive jump and/or a new starter.

Thanks.

mucklechumps

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4 DR
I pulled my starter out of the car and just took it apart. The brushes at the rear of the starter are almost completely worn down and one of the copper braided brush connectors became disconnected.
Are there rebuild kits available? I did a small internet search and couldn't find anything. If I have my starter rebuilt by a local shop I'm assuming they have a source for brushes?
I'll post my results when I figure out what I'm going to do.
Now that the starter and battery are out of the car I'm going to install a TDIheater that has been sitting in a box most of the winter!:D