Koni red vs yellow

Peoria_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Like many of you, I am looking to upgrade my OEM suspension. I would like a somewhat firmer ride with being too harsh. I have spent many hours on this forum searching and reading various threads on suspension modifications. It seems like opinions about ride quality (comfort vs. performance) vary tremendously. I understand that ride quality is a personal preference. I have decided to go with Koni dampers, but have a few questions. Koni red seems to be the preferred choice on this forum. Does Koni make a "red" damper for the B5.5? If so, I am unable to find it. If not, I guess I am limited to the Koni "yellow". Are there any Koni experts here that can tell me how much difference there is in ride quality between the red soft mode and the yellow soft mode? Thankyou in advance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You're right, there are no Reds sold (at least in this country) for the B5.5. There are, however, FSDs. I've ridden in A4s with Yellows and my wagon has reds, and the Yellows did feel noticeably firmer. But I've also read that the internal design of the two dampers don't differ. And you may not seem such a difference with the B5.5. The A4s seem extremely sensitive to changes in damping.

One benefit of the yellows is adjustability while installed in the car. And I'd try to get a ride in a B5.5 with FSDs: It might be the best of all worlds.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Koni catalog I have does not list Reds for the B5.5. However, they may have been in this country for a while and some people may have inventory.