Is there a way to test rear defroster?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
On my 2006 Jetta, I suspect the rear window defroster is not working. The button lights up when I press it but it doesn’t clear the window like in my other cars. I know the rear window was replaced with an aftermarket one at some point before I bought the car.

Is there a way to troubleshoot whether it is the switch, the wiring somewhere between the switch and the rear window or the rear window itself?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump; fuse number 25, with the 25 amp fuse looks great. I even took that fuse out and put it into another function and it worked, so the fuse is not the issue.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Just a thought here, if the back window was replaced did they ever plug in the defroster in? The defroster is built into the glass, but there has be a wiring connection that connects to it to supply voltage to it. I would check the connection with a volt meter to see if your getting power to that point.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
If I can hear the click when I press the defrost button, would that indicate that the relay is working?
Not necessarily. The click sound only indicates that the coil of the relay is energized, which means the magnetic circuit is doing what it is supposed to do (attract the armature). However, the electrical contacts the armature brings together by its movement may be oxidized and thus increase significantly resistance of the circuit the contacts serve.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Found out the word on the driver’s side was not connected. I hooked it up and was able to show voltage on the grid lines. I will “field test” it this week.

56Buick

TDI
zip so far
Found out the word on the driver’s side was not connected. I hooked it up and was able to show voltage on the grid lines. I will “field test” it this week.
I have this same issue with my '06 Jetta Diesel;
Button lights but apparently no power to the RWD.
I checked fuse# 25 and is in good shape (pulled it out, then back in) still no power.
What is the "word on the driver's side" (wire??) that was not connected (2nd to last post), where is this wire at?
Where do I find the wiring connector to the RWD, at the Rear Glass?
What relay number under the dash does this circuit use?
Are there any other relays/switches/fuses etc. for the RWD?
How can you tell if you have heated rear-view-mirrors, if they don't work-you can't tell?
Thanx ALL, all help is appreciated!!

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Do you have VCDS to manually test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56Buick

TDI
zip so far
I am not sure what a VCDS is or how to use it?
How will that help me, where can I get it?
What is approx cost?

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
VCDS is a piece of software that you run on your laptop with a specific hardware dongle sold by VAG COM. If you own a VW I recommend you do a little googling. Here is a YouTube video where a guy is fixing a rear defroster, you can give this a try as well:

https://youtu.be/n2d-D0RG9Ms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk