Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

commonrailkid04

TDI
2001 Golf GLI TDI
DCELL, that doesnt sound like it ended well! Our barn lot is gravel, but real big so the snow gets deep. I have only been stuck once in the golf, when i stopped i was pushing soo much the snow was almost coming over the hood!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
spent the last 12 hours wrenching on the toyota. New head came in yesterday after work. I spent last night transferring all the old studs and brackets to the new head. got it all put back together and ready to go today. I forgot I don't have any coolant for it though, so I'm gonna wait 'till I get some tomorrow before I fire it up. Cross your fingers for me!
I also picked up a sweet little cart to use in the garage. A chiropractor was getting rid of some equipment on craigslist. This cart is medical grade stainless and costs $300 new. I got it for $10!

tkbalt

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf (DSG) and 2013 Passat SEL (DSG) TDI's
jbright said:
I'm having serious questions about what oil was used yesterday at Tom Wood VW for my 20K service. My invoice says two different things, both the wrong oil for the '09, and the guy I talked to in service today told me yet another oil, Valvoline Full Synthetic, which is still not the right product. Parts, however, said they use Castrol SLX 5W30, but he didn't say if it was the Gold Label, which I think is the only one that's 507. Does anyone else have an '09-'10 and some experience with TW? My 10K oil change had the correct code for the Gold Label, I might add. Also, I'm still waiting for a recommendation for a good detailer for my Jetta. I've been impressed so far in my dealings with these folks, and I know one of the guys in service has a new TDI.
I have always questioned the oil changing capabilities of Tom Wood - even when I bring my own oil. I have had them overfill mine twice.

I recommend checking out Falcone VW on 16th street.
http://www.falconevw.com/

DCell - is Jeff Harrison still there?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure he still is, but I have not talked to him since around thanksgiving. I gotta give him a call about some other stuff this week. You should check them out- Bob is absolutely dedicated to service work. In my conversations with him, he wants the service customer satisfied, period. I know that's why he hired Jeff/.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
DCELL said:
I'm pretty sure he still is, but I have not talked to him since around thanksgiving. I gotta give him a call about some other stuff this week. You should check them out- Bob is absolutely dedicated to service work. In my conversations with him, he wants the service customer satisfied, period. I know that's why he hired Jeff/.
Well, that was not my experience with Jeff last time and he's had more than plenty of time to get back to me. Sad really as I thought he was a friend.... :(

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Robert: I'm sorry you have not been able to resolve your personal issues with Jeff. My comment was about Bob Falcone and Jeff's employment at Falcone VW. Perhaps you should take it to him at the the dealership. Friend or not, I'm pretty sure you could get him to fix it.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
DCELL said:
Robert: I'm sorry you have not been able to resolve your personal issues with Jeff. My comment was about Bob Falcone and Jeff's employment at Falcone VW. Perhaps you should take it to him at the the dealership. Friend or not, I'm pretty sure you could get him to fix it.
Neil, let me see if I understand you correctly here. I should take my car all the way to Indy and pay the dealer to have Mr. Harrison work on it to finish what he didn't last time for which I paid him as well? This is about Mr. Harrison not keeping his word with me. And before you ask, I did attempt to contact him in a civil manner but he has not bothered to respond so far.

As for your comment regarding Mr. Harrison working at Falcone VW I hope he has a boss who makes sure jobs are done properly and in full to avoid a situation like mine with other people.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Nevermind. I was trying to be facetious... I didn't mean to get you all upset.

fa⋅ce⋅tious 
[fuh-see-shuh
s]
–adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark. 2. amusing; humorous. 3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
wow im out for a bit and the chairs start flying! DCell: thanks for your 2 cents, the breaks worked out great.
Im heading down to Datona next week for the 24hour race, last time i ran down there i was seeing some tops mileage (50-54) so ill keep you all posted on how it go's this time.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Concord- Sweet! the drive south has always been one of my fav's. I went to florida twice a year for for the first 20 years of my life, but haven't been in the last 10 years. I've always wanted to go for the vintage bike auctions/ vintage bike week in March. I've sold all my vintage bikes, but I'm kind of a horse trader- always on the lookout for a good deal!
I was looking at the Driver list for Daytona- There's a good mix of drivers there from many different backgrounds... Even a guy named Jon Fogarty... I don't know what that's about. Anyway, have fun!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
concord206 said:
wow im out for a bit and the chairs start flying!
Concord - Neil and I have known each other for years so no chairs flying here. More of a case of "electronic internet words" losing the intended meaning face to face conversation provides via voice inflection/facial expression as to the way a statement should be taken. So Neil meant to be humorous but it didn't read that way (maybe he should've added a smiley face at the end! :p ) and you'd understand better if you had the experience I did with Mr. Harrison last time. So no need to duck for flying chairs here after all.....

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
So I got the 'Yota up and running this week, and drove it to work thursday and friday so I could sort some of the bugs out of it. When I came home yesterday, this is what I found:

I think maybe some birds (large, unhealthy birds!) were mad at me for some reason... The splat in the middle is so big it actually has a secondary ring around it. YUK!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
DogTrainingTDI said:
Neil

When you talk about Jeff at Falcone VW, would that be the same Jeff that has/had the repair shop in Mooresville?

Thanks
Jesse
Different Jeff - one at Falcone commutes from Goshen where he did some repair work on the side at home. My last experience with him wasn't very good. He's also a pain to communicate with much of the time as in not very responsive.

dekindy

TDI
None yet, researching
I am in the research phase regarding purchasing a TDI. I live in Fishers and would be doing no wrenching on my own.

Is EuroMotorworks on East 90th Street, off I-69, a good shop to get my work done? An e-mail query with some basic questions was responded to by a telephone call. To date I have spoken twice with Christoph and he has given me a fair amount of time on the telephone answering questions and appears to be knowledgeable.

I gave them some general criteria and I am on their list if someone wants to sell a TDI Jetta or Golf that is in good shape.

When is the next Indianapolis GTC? I live in Fishers and would also be interested in going to lunch with anyone that has had experience with a Golf or Jetta TDI of any vintage. I work from my home and would be available most days except for Thursday.

I have already spent a fair amount of time reviewing information on the forums so I am not totally clueless.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Welcome dekindy! In your neck of the woods would be DCELL, he lives in Noblesville.

As for EuroMotorworks I haven't heard anything about them, but maybe someone here has. A good majority of us prefer to get our own hands dirty and when needed help each other out. I can say that DCELL has been a great help to me! I think there a few of us that are in need of timing belt changes come this spring and were planning to do it ourselves. Hell, DCELL just rebuilt a complete engine on a Toyota truck!

I need to schedule for a GTG for Feb. So stay tuned!

VegBug (Jerry)

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
dekindy- welcome. As for that shop, if it's where I think it is, they always have some exotics sitting around. I always figured they specialized in the (very) expensive Italians and Germans. I've never been in there, just driven by. It sounds as though you are very thorough. You definitely found the right site for information on the subject. If you want to Get ToGether for a bite to eat sometime, I'm sure we could set something up- it's usually just three or four of us and we are always happy to have more. Most of us have 99.5-2004 ALH or PD cars. I have a Jetta and a Golf. They are essentially identical vehicles other than the shape. Even Jerry's Bug shares engine, drivetrain, and many other parts.

*ALL* - It's been a while! What do you think? Next Week? Week after next? I'm semi-permanently off at 3pm every day. Any evening works for me.

Last edited:

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VegBug said:
Welcome dekindy! In your neck of the woods would be DCELL, he lives in Noblesville.

As for EuroMotorworks I haven't heard anything about them, but maybe someone here has. A good majority of us prefer to get our own hands dirty and when needed help each other out. I can say that DCELL has been a great help to me! I think there a few of us that are in need of timing belt changes come this spring and were planning to do it ourselves. Hell, DCELL just rebuilt a complete engine on a Toyota truck!

I need to schedule for a GTG for Feb. So stay tuned!

VegBug (Jerry)
Count me as one of the people that needs a Timing Belt Change.

I have the 2006 PD also do a DSG change.

Dealer wants about $1600 for the TB change if I remember right Jeff out in Mooresville said he can do it for around $800.00 I think.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
$800 sounds about right from what I've been hearing. If you want to buy the parts we could all get together and spend a saturday or sunday on it? I need to do one too, perhaps some timing belt tools should be the next tool purchase I make. If three or four of us were to split the cost, it would make things a lot easier... Food for thought!

Amy_D

TDI
2005 Jetta PD-TDI GLS sedan automatic, black
I need 90k service myself (TB time!), and hearing that Jeff H is working in Indy now may make it easier than when I drove up to Goshen! Anyway, gotta find someone to do it. BUT I'm moving to Europe in a month and the Jetta won't be driven much then, at least for the next year. Too many things to plan.

Nice to see some of the same folks are still around.

commonrailkid04

TDI
2001 Golf GLI TDI
Wright Way Collision Repair has a good diesel tech. I was going to wait for a GTG to do my TB buttttt... i had no records of when it had been done. I bought the car with 140,000 on the clock and was up to 200,000 so i figured it was time to get it done and i did not have the time to do
it myself so i had them do it ( i hate haveing to take my car to a shop, probly because i am myself a diesel tech). Short of the long, they do great work and it was somthing in the range of $630-$650.00. http://local.botw.org/Indiana/Albany/Wright_Way_Collision_Repair_Inc/143707628.html

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
The golf in noblesville was put back together by a guy that I talked to a couple times on this board, I can't recall his name but I could probably dig it up. He had all kinds of problems getting it sorted out after the motor work (clutch gave him fits) but it sounds like he got it worked out. That was probably a year ago at least.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Dekindy: Datsun1973 is the owner of that car.

AmyD- good to hear from you!

dekindy

TDI
None yet, researching
Any competent dealers in Indianapolis

I am not a mechanic nor do I want to be. However I am intrigued by the vw tdi and am considering a used or new one.

For someone that wants a TDI, new or used, are any of the dealers in Indianapolis competent or does the "do not take your car to a dealer" apply?

For used, where is the best place to get a TDI worked on? I see Jeff Volkswagein Repair Mooresville and Greg Landuyt in Greenfield on the TDI Club list, not sure how current the list is. Do those guys still work on them?

Who and where are the other gurus in Indiana?

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Jerry- Looks like I'm gonna end up with a used set of ALH TB tools. CoolWht has offered his old set, I've told him I'll take 'em. TB party at my house!

Dekindy- Greg has done work for me in the past and is a great guy. There is a lot of talk about the guy in Mooresville, but I don't know if any of these folks have actually taken anything there.

On a side note, I have a co-worker that took her eurovan (gasser) to Hash Imports to get it tuned up and have to minor things fixed. Based on her initial conversation with the service writer, it sounded like a good deal so she left it there and told them to do the work. She went back to pick it up today and that guy was not there, but the mechanic told her what he had done. He was only told to do about half of the work list they had agreed on, but her bill was still for the full amount. I don't know if it was a misunderstanding, or if they were seriously taking advantage of her. Buyer beware~!