abs sensor

dan arc

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
how do i go about to change a left front abs sensor,and what tools do i need,or should i bring it to the dealer,2006 jetta tdi

Swiminmarch

TDI
Jetta 2005.5
I will be changing the front left abs sensor on my 2005.5 mkv tdi (BRM). I'm not sure what the head of the bolt looks like but I will be able to tell you next week (after I replace mine).
The original OEM 7H0927803 has been replaced by OEM WHT003857. I ordered the Ate ES#:9547 from ECS Tuning http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Braking/ABS/
and for $0.99 more I ordered a replacement bolt. They also had the OEM but Ate cost $37.41 OEM cost $95.07 and dealer charges $155.82 just for the part (didn't ask what install would have been).
Tools: deep 17mm socket to remove lug bolts and what ever the sensor bolt ends up being...
I'm not sure how to add a pdf to my post otherwise i would attach procedure.
1. Raise your car
2. Remove wheel
3. Separate speed sensor and speed sensor wiring connector
4. remove bolt that attaches sensor to wheel bearing housing
5. remove old sensor and clean out the hole
6. coat new sensor with hot bolt paste
7. insert new sensor and tighten bolt to 8 Nm

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
In older MK4 the abs sensor pigtail in somecases even after disconnected doesn't want to pull out of the sensor connector end. You can try contact cleaner or PB Blaster. I have done several three minute jobs that turned into half hour learning experiances. I purchased a sensor once from a reputable auto store that did not fit in the steering knuckle hole as it should have. Its good to clean that before installing a new sensor due to a very close tolerance between the two. Clean the reluctor ring with brake cleaner, this is the ring that is attached to the steering knuckle that the sensor gets a signal from. These rings rust and due to the abs sensor being magnatized it well pull rust to it after the install. If this happens it will set off your abs pump, usually on the first short drive. It is torx fastner that holds the sensor in, but I can't remember the size normal case six point torxs will work though. Simple procedure but clean everything before you install. The older the vehicle the worse. Also your old sensor may not come out easy, like I said its a tight fit in the oval hole.

Last edited:

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
No 2000 and 2001 Mk4. The sensor looks similar, but Mk5 is narrower. I am only guessing it is located in the steering knuckle. The Mk4 abs front wheel sensor is located in the steering knuckle through an oval hole. There will still be a reluctor or abs ring that the sensor gets a signal from. Its best to clean this after install. These rings rust and create problems. Brake cleaner works great, light grit sand paper if really bad, combined with brake cleaner. Its an easy job, if your partially mechnically inclined. Sometimes what looks simple has a few snags. I explained some of these in my prior post. Pigtail connector sometimes will stick in the sensor, be carefull not to break it. The old sensor will stick in the hole and not want to come out. The new one will not want to go in. Patients and staying calm can give you the edge. Its dirty in that area and everything wants to fight you.

Last edited: