timing belt replacement question

BeetleLisa

TDI
2000 new beetle
When I ask the vw dealer about replacing timing belt they tell me the water pump is recommended to be replaced also at this time. Is this
necessary maintenance? I had belt replaced on 2000 tdi beetle at 60k and local mechanic didn't recommend it then. Now I'm approaching 117,000 and am told need timing belt and water pump at 120. Opinions please.
Thanks!

charlie75

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf; 2000 New Beetle (Gone)
Sound advice, replace the pump!! The lion's share of the repair is in the labor to get to the belt and pump. If the pump fails from 120-200K miles (very likely), you'll get to pay for this repair again! However, I highly recommend that you look up a local TDI "guru" and have them do the work, instead of the dealership.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
charlie75 said:
Sound advice, replace the pump!! The lion's share of the repair is in the labor to get to the belt and pump. If the pump fails from 120-200K miles (very likely), you'll get to pay for this repair again! However, I highly recommend that you look up a local TDI "guru" and have them do the work, instead of the dealership.
__. This is very good advice! And don't forget that your car can get the belt and roller hardware from the '03 model cars and go 100K miles without needing to change the belt again. And usually dealerships will only put the 60K belt in; knowing you'll be back earlier for the $1000 job again.
'

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Are you going to the dealer for this work? Are you certain this dealer will have the job done right?

You should upgrade to the 100K belt/rollers as mentioned previously. You may find difficulty in having the dealer install this, since it's not "original equipment" even though identical engines were produced with this equipment a few years later.

Replace the water pump. It's done it's job long enough. If it fails, you will be redoing the timing belt work again, and may be replacing the engine if it fails catestrophically.