Which tune for lifted beetle

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
130k. Got it with a bad 01m. Put in an EUH and a Luk 17-050. Also a metalnerd 2" lift, moog springs, and 205 75 15 AT's. Also full timing belt kit and lots of other stuff.

Despite the lift and tires, I got 43 mpg on the last tank. Previous tank was 42. And it has been really cold here in northern Illinois. So it is running really well. Could use a little more pep, though.

I am not planning on replacing the clutch anytime soon. Wondering if it will handle sprint 520's and a tune. Preferring the mpg to stay the same or better.

Oh, since auto to manual conversion, I have an 11mm pump.

What do you think?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
With Sprint 520s, 11mm pump, and a Malone stage 3 tune, I'm fairly sure that my stock clutch was slipping. I dropped back to the stock manual trans injectors for now, but plan to swap in a SMF and stronger clutch soon.

That said, the car still pulls much nicer now, than before the pump and tune. I do find myself having to pay attention to pedal input, as I routinely manage to break the tires free on slightly wet pavement, where before the IP swap and tune, it was a very rare occasion to loose traction.

With the added torque requirement to get the larger tires moving, I'm not sure how a stock equivalent clutch will hold up, but I'm sure there are others here that can comment!

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You can always get a tune to limit torque if you run into clutch issues, assuming you have a handheld flasher.

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
You can always get a tune to limit torque if you run into clutch issues, assuming you have a handheld flasher.
How does that work with a tune with a tune from you? Say I were to run into clutch issues, would I have to pay full price for a different tune to limit torque? Also, which tune would you suggest?

I actually drive the car pretty easy. I may be happy with a stage 1 and keep the stock nozzles.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
No, that'd be a bit much, we normally charge 100 for re-tuning (depending on circumstances/modifications). Normally limit torque to about stage 1 levels, so you'd probably be better off leaving it stock until you can do the clutch + nozzles at the same time.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
If you have not bought the nozzles yet look at the dlc520. If you are going Malone those injectors would go nice with a stage 1.5 and the clutch will be able to hold that.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I had DLC520's and a 1.5 Malone tune and the clutch didn't hold at full power in my 2003 Beetle with 2"lift. The clutch had some use on it already so that should also play into your decision. Never slipped under stock power though.

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
OK thanks for the info. I keep going back and forth between a tune and nothing else, or doing nozzles and a hotter tune. Seems like I would be leaving a lot on the table, though, with a 5 speed, an 11mm pump, but the auto injectors. Then there is the slippery slope that I have slid down plenty of times in the past. My old Powerstroke work van had compound turbos!

About the Luk 17-050. I thought that set up was supposed to be quite a bit more durable than stock? I think ID parts says it should hold 260 ft lbs?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I think with the luk clutch you will be fine as long as the injectors and tune are moderate. Just keep the tq under 200 at the tires. Pp357s or dlc520s are still what I would go with if tuning. Dlc706 is what I would do if you want injectors and no tune as they will still add power (stock mannys with dlc.)