www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 6th, 2017, 05:02   #136
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kjetta18 View Post
Anyone experience a shudder or jerking...
I think most of the reports about shudder and jerking have to do with more frequent fuel injection episodes to keep the car running cleaner. I can see it monitoring the EGT. When I feel a jerk or shudder, I glance over at the EGT, and sure enough there is a spike in temperature. Those spikes are clearly related to fuel being injected into the system. That behavior also explains why the mpg should be down compared to before the fix.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:50   #137
jesssssser

Nearly 1 week after the fix, and no issues. The engine may be slightly louder at idle... But no comments otherwise. As expected, ~1 mpg drop in miliage.

2010 MT JSW
jesssssser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:17   #138
tdi_spec

5,000 miles after the fix and now my turbo is toast
tdi_spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 10:03   #139
ticketed2much
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi_spec View Post
5,000 miles after the fix and now my turbo is toast
That sucks. Should be covered under warranty tho. How many miles on the car?

Mine got the fix a couple weeks ago. More regens, 2mpg less.
ticketed2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 11:05   #140
tdi_spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketed2much View Post
That sucks. Should be covered under warranty tho. How many miles on the car?
Mine got the fix a couple weeks ago. More regens, 2mpg less.
Yeah the service writer said it should be covered no problem and they provided a loaner 2018 Jetta in the meantime. The car has 77,000 miles on it now. The HPFP exploded at around 70,000 miles but the HPFP warranty covered that as well. It is annoying to have to keep getting stuff fixed but it has been a pretty painless process every time and I don't see any reason to get rid of the car as long as it is covered by these additional warranties.
tdi_spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 19:11   #141
joshhol

Got the fix on 12/27/17
2013 JSW manual w/ 58K miles
The car performs ok. I feel the torque is pretty much there if I need it, however, it seems like I need a little more pedal to get it. Sometimes it does feel a little logey overall.
There is a lot more noise when cold and it runs at a faster idle when the engine is cold. Regens haven't been too frequent.

The biggest issue is that the fuel economy is just not anywhere near what it used to be. They told us 1 ~ 2 mpg reduction depending on driving habits. I firmly believe that's 1 or 2 off of the original window sticker, 30 - 42, which we were all greatly exceeding. It's NOT 1-2 mpg off what we were used to getting. At least in my case, I'm struggling to get the car up over 40mpg on the highway with conservative driving.
It had been very cold here but the last few days it warmed up to almost 60 degrees and still the mpg's are way off.
I'm regretting having the fix done. I think the only two options are buyback or leave it at is. I wonder if there are any places that can revert the fix. Seems some places in the U.K. are claiming they can. . .
joshhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 06:25   #142
craigldavis

TDI(s): 2009 JSW M/T

I’m in Ohio and had the fix done as soon as it was available.

The weather was much nicer then (60’s-70’s) and was getting about the same MPG on my display after the fix as I was before (40ish mpg based on my driving style).

Last week when the temps were single digits and low teens my MDF display was telling me I was only getting 30 MPG.

Yesterday it was showing 42 MPG (and mid 50 temps) on the same drive as the above mpg’s.

Give it a chance with better weather before you give up.

Don’t forget you have a nice long warranty now too!

See what happens - it may be very weather related.
Old January 12th, 2018, 07:29   #143
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhol View Post
Got the fix on 12/27/17
The car performs ok. I feel the torque is pretty much there if I need it, however, it seems like I need a little more pedal to get it. Sometimes it does feel a little logey overall.
There is a lot more noise when cold and it runs at a faster idle when the engine is cold. Regens haven't been too frequent.

The biggest issue is that the fuel economy is just not anywhere near what it used to be. They told us 1 ~ 2 mpg reduction depending on driving habits. I firmly believe that's 1 or 2 off of the original window sticker, 30 - 42, which we were all greatly exceeding. It's NOT 1-2 mpg off what we were used to getting. At least in my case, I'm struggling to get the car up over 40mpg on the highway with conservative driving.
It had been very cold here but the last few days it warmed up to almost 60 degrees and still the mpg's are way off.
I'm regretting having the fix done. I think the only two options are buyback or leave it at is. I wonder if there are any places that can revert the fix. Seems some places in the U.K. are claiming they can. . .
buyback is not available once the fix has been applied...F.Y.I.
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:06   #144
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhol View Post
Got the fix on 12/27/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigldavis View Post
Iím in Ohio and had the fix done as soon as it was available.

The weather was much nicer then (60ís-70ís) and was getting about the same MPG on my display after the fix as I was before (40ish mpg based on my driving style).

Last week when the temps were single digits and low teens my MDF display was telling me I was only getting 30 MPG.

Yesterday it was showing 42 MPG (and mid 50 temps) on the same drive as the above mpgís.

Give it a chance with better weather before you give up.

Donít forget you have a nice long warranty now too!

See what happens - it may be very weather related.
Remember that you also get lower mileage on winter blend diesel. I know April is a long way off, but wait and see what happens to your mileage once you start burning summer blend.
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:54   #145
joshhol

Word, thanks for the encouragement. I should remind myself that its still way better mpg than an Alltrack.
An Alltrack TDI would have been amazing though...
There is a Passat Alltrack TDI if you are in Australia.

Forrest resto's, I was implying the best options were buyback or do nothing for anyone who still had a virgin ECU. Though I'm sure VW would buyback my TDI now for about a third of their previous offer ;(

Last edited by joshhol; January 12th, 2018 at 15:27.
joshhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:34   #146
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I agree but really wanted to see the Atlas with blutech, diesel hybrid.