Heater issues/ blend door

Shane8820

TDI
2002 Jetta
Having a weird issue, defrost is working but I get no heat through my dash vents. My A/C is intermittent through those vents as well. The foam has came through the vents(blend door). I’m just at a loss for why I have no heat on floor/dash vents but the defrost works pretty well. I’ve read some things and searched and haven’t really found anything concrete for an answer. 2002 Jetta TDI mk4

Shane8820

TDI
2002 Jetta
I knew I would end up having to do that for the foam but I’m just curious what could cause the other issue with the heater?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
There are 2 blend doors in there. One controls the hot and cold the other directs the air to defrost, floor or dash vents. Once you get it apart you'll see how it's set up.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Also make sure the lever on the bottom didn't pop out .
It's the lever to the right of the go pedal, need to take cover off next to pedal and take a look . The lever should be flush.
If I can find the pic I will post it, or someone else might.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I almost forgot about that Steve, it’s called a blend door support pin and they pop out when the tabs wear out or break off that could also be part of your problem.

My daughters beetle has a blend door support pin currently missing. When I taped up the doors I found hers was broken, so I propped her hot/cold door open to heat till I get a chance to get back to it.

There is a you tube video on where they are located and shows how they fit.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Yes. You have to tear out the dash to get to both, so you might as well check out both while you're repairing one.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Technically no, you don't have to tear the whole dash out to fix the blend doors. I did this on my sons 01 Golf.
You can fit your hand and apply high temp tape or foam from the front.
There is a thread on here somewhere about this.

But if you want to replace the heater core, then yes the whole dash has to come out.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Technically no, you don't have to tear the whole dash out to fix the blend doors. I did this on my sons 01 Golf.
You can fit your hand and apply high temp tape or foam from the front.
There is a thread on here somewhere about this.

But if you want to replace the heater core, then yes the whole dash has to come out.

Thank you for the correction. My Beetle needs both, when I can swing it. And needs the A/c compressor checked.