Mtdi 12mm problems

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
I’ve been driving my alh mtdi ranger put about 1200 miles on it with the new pump but I’m having problems with it. Started off as it wouldn’t idle at a 800 where I had it set at. It would bounce between 500 and 1100 when I would adjust it. Then I drove it the next day and idle was stuck at 2000rpm so I pushed the clutch in to try to lower it and it stalled out every time. Pulled top cover off. Fine particles of metal everywhere. Pump head is not seized yet so idk what else would cause this. I have a fass fuel system 150gph at 20psi of fuel pressure. Anyone have any problems like this?
Thanks

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Without knowing what internals are in your pump it's hard to say exactly what the issue is but I'd suspect it's the driveshaft/intermediate disk and camplate tangs all wearing. It's most likely caused from an incorrectly setup pump (mainly the plunger).

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
I’m using azz core, Tdi camplate, Tdi springs adleast should be... 12mm plunger and rotor. Pumps out and sent back to the guy that built it. I had this same problem before with a 12mm electronic pump. He builds a lot of Cummins pumps but not too much vw pumps.

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
17mm but I’m having him transfer the head and arnoid to a 4bt direct inject housing now so i can use the larger shaft and sprocket hub. You think the 17mm shaft could be the problem?

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
Found the problem. Where the drive shaft connects to the camplate that Cross piece seared.
Pump hit 3000rpm on the bench stand (6000rpm engine speed) so I think my tach converter is off a little. Thanks @burn_your_money