2008 Jeep JKU / TDI swap

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Great Project! I'm very interested, especially in the trans adapter & 6 speed combination. I'm just getting started on a TDI swap into a completely different vehicle, and considering all options for transmissions.

Thanks,

Steve

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Finally got this on the road and its surprisingly quick.
I think the 50lb flywheel is a big help with standing starts as we used to stall the original 3.8 gas all the time but not stalled the TDI once.
No real problems with the swap until I tried to put fuel into it at a gas station.
Took 71 cents and the fill pipe would not take anymore so on the weekend I will have to replace the 3/4" existing fill pipe with some 1 1/2".
Still have some wiring to finish including the tach but otherwise its done.
Had to give it to my daughter to get to school this week so we will see how it does in the real world.

Still needs a front bumper and cooler side rails/steps.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
You just cant hide anything from Jimbote!
Yes one of the remaining little things to finish up.
Have not figured out a nice clean way to get a hose from the vent to the airbox. :(

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Maybe use a small cone filter from a small carb instead of going to the intake? Or maybe too much oil would be pushed out the vent?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Have not figured out a nice clean way to get a hose from the vent to the airbox. :(
what about using a BHW valve cover ? it would point the pvc outlet toward the TIP in your application... or a BRM VC ... pvc outlet is right rear and may it be easier to tuck the hose around to your inlet.... it also has the oil fill on the timing belt end so service may be a bit easier... there is a vacuum nipple though, not really sure what that operates in the VC itself

Last edited:

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
I found hooking my PCV straight to the air box (unfiltered side) was sucking in a ton of oil vapor and my compression is good so no blowby. I will put a catch can in between to swirl it.

Yea the heavy flywheel is a must. What you have built here is almost exactly what I want to build for the wifes next ride.

xjjeeper

TDI
99.5 golf, soon to be Tdi Xj
Randy there is a bhw at pickapart in Chilliwack currently. I can go Sunday and check it out for you if you like:D

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Randy there is a bhw at pickapart in Chilliwack currently. I can go Sunday and check it out for you if you like:D
Is there much 90s stuff in the yard there? Always looking for B3 bits and pieces locally...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Would they sell the valve cover off a good engine? Looks like the car is in nice shape?
If you don't mind I think it would be the way to go.
Not a big deal if you cant make it though.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
The Jeep has been running great and lots of power to pull the JKU around even on 33" tires.
Finally did a mileage check and the last tank was 31 mpg (imperial) which I think is much better than the V6 that was in the JK.
The thing we notice the most is the added bottom end torque.
The 3.8 V6 was gutless at the bottom end and we were always stalling it.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
The Jeep has been running great and lots of power to pull the JKU around even on 33" tires.
Finally did a mileage check and the last tank was 31 mpg (imperial) which I think is much better than the V6 that was in the JK.
The thing we notice the most is the added bottom end torque.
The 3.8 V6 was gutless at the bottom end and we were always stalling it.

That is awesome, so good to hear!

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
I was having a problem figuring out an intercooler solution for the JK and had bought a water to air unit but since this is a DD for my daughter I wanted it simple and reliable.
I found that there is an aftermarket intercooler kit for the stock JK V6 when you super charge it. I was able to duplicate that install with MUCH cheaper parts off the net.
My go-to supplier CX Racing had all the parts and installation went quick and looks good.
DSCF4574
DSCF4571

Also got the dlownpipe welded up.
DSCF4580

Hey, how did you get your intercooler pipe around the bottom of the stock air cleaner box? Do you have a pic of that?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I should see the Jeep on Sunday and will try to remember a pic.
I used 2" pipe and it just squeezed through.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
I should see the Jeep on Sunday and will try to remember a pic.
I used 2" pipe and it just squeezed through.
Thanks. After much persistence, I was able to squeeze the 2.5" pipe thru. Pics will follow later in my build.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
One year update, well almost a year.
Still running strong and averaging 27 MPG US gallons or 33MPG Canadian.
Love this thing.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Funny how everyone focuses on that!
That was an early pic, been too busy to get some new ones but will soon. I plumbed the breather to the airbox before starting to drive it on the road.

Jfive

TDI
2001 bug
Curious how the power and mileage have been long term. Have a 2008 jku auto. Get 22 to 23 on the highway and 18 mixed. Power is not great, but have been able to tow a small trailer okay. I'm curious if a tdi will be enough with some mods. I'm sure your daughter isn't towing trailers regularly but have you pulled anything with it.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
It's been great for her. She commutes about 45 minutes each way to university 4 days a week and work 3 days so its all mixed driving.
Averages 28 us MPG. Its no rocket ship like our XJ but is about what the old 3.8L was, maybe a bit less. I plan to upgrade the turbo and tune over the summer and see what that does for it.
She has not towed anything with it but I think it would not have a problem with a smaller trailer unless you were doing big mountain passes.
The rad fan NEVER comes on and it runs at normal operating temps even in the summer. Our XJ is the same.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Nice..... What did you use for a fuel pump? I was using the Isuzu gas lift pump but just died on me. I want a diesel fuel pump.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Its just an inline one from eBay. I just looked for a diesel one with 5-7 PSI and good flow. Some guys have replaced the in tank pump with a diesel one.

Smarten101

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
Did you ever upgrade the turbo and tune? Was the engine you put in there stock? I'm looking at doing this with a BHW. Seems like a tune and a few minor upgrades might make it a little zippier AND bring the mileage up a bit.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Yes stock BEW and did not do the upgrades yet. Hard to get it away from my daughter who drives it to university daily.

I have the turbo on the shelf so maybe in the spring. I need to get it for a few weeks to do a full restore on it like shocks, brakes and other jeep stuff so would be a good time to swap the turbo.
She thinks twice the fuel economy of the old V6 is pretty good.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Got the turbo installed and a tune upgrade. Mark (Malone) increased the fuel. The JKU now pulls much better and does not over boost on long hills. Still not the rocket that the XJ is but a nice Daily Driver. Jax and Jake in the shop small.jpg

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
How hard was the wiring to mate up to the Jeep? Thinking about swapping my BRM into a JKU, and that's my only hangup for the most part.

I emailed through your website too: Will the accessory relation bracket fit on a BRM, do you think? And are you able to get your hands on the flywheel for the 3.8L jeep again?