Recall Notice

toshee

TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Black
So I received a recall in the mail the other day... here's the gist of it

Subject:
Emission Service Action VS
2000 model Year VW Golf/Jetta VR6, Jetta/GTI 1.8T and Golf 1.9L TDI Vehicles.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
VW has found that the instrument cluster swithcing relay software in the affected vehicles may require reprogramming (reflashing). A random data communication problem may exist in certain vehicles. If this occurs, it could cause communication with the diagnostic scan tool to be interrupted.

WHAT WILL VW DO?
...we will electronically update the instrument panel cluster switching relay software.

(The rest is blah blah blah blah)

Soooooo
My question - any chance this will fubar my VAG-COM?

Anyone else have the work done?
Bringing my car to the dealer is making me feel so, so, dirty! lol

Opinions on this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Bringing my car to the dealer is making me feel so, so, dirty!

I like it!

I dunno, I'm gonna pass 'til I hear it's important. I don't really care if the dealer's scan tool can't communicate with the inst. cluster. I'll do it if there is a valid reason.

toshee

TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Black
What struck me as odd is how is this possible communication problem with their scan tool an Emission Service Action??
Hence why I'm a little wary of this recall (not that I don't trust them, I just, well, yah, I don't trust em)

83alpinab9

TDI
98 Jetta tdi
VS is a new campaign and the recall involves checking the instrument panel software and updating if needed. Have yet had to actually update, only had to check. I can see no valid reason to do this recall unless experiencing problems w/data link not working.

mnoeltne

TDI
2004 Golf GLS - Blue Anthracite
What struck me as odd is how is this possible communication problem with their scan tool an Emission Service Action??
Many states just use a scan tool on OBD II equiped cars when checking emmisions. If no errors are found, the car passes. So, if the car can't talk to the diagnostic equipment it's going to fail emmisions testing in those states. Hence an emmisions service action.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
So i should not preform the recall unless I am having problems? Because I have an Upsolute chip and don't the dealer messing around with my ecu. Thanks!

Clint

Friday1

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed, 2012 JSW 6 speed auto, a sweet ride.
Some time ago, Ford offered a free oil change on 6.0 diesel powered van and pickups. When the customers got their vehicles back the mileage was going from like 17-19 down to 12-14. Someone had a seal of some kind on the scanner connector and figured they reflashed the ECU. Nice, huh?