Brake Job Completed

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I did new pads and rotors on my JSW with 72K miles. I bought the parts and my brother-in-law (excellent mechanic in Danbury, CT) provided the labor. Back pads had about 10% of life left. Front pads were at 50%. Rotors were okay, but I am somewhat nuts about completing regular maintenance before there is a problem.

Bottom line; you can save alot of money by just replacing your rear pads after you inspect for wear.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
not to mention that if you only do the rear pads, you can leave that pesky 14mm XZN socket in the tool box. those bolts are pretty tight.

what kind of rotors did you use?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Those looked good. does the paint on those rotors look good?

I used the zimmerman rotors and idparts house ceramic pads.

which pads did you go with?

and which "lug bolt" are you talking about?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I replaced the lug that requires the wheel lock to remove it. Not sure about the paint; mechanic worked on my car while I worked on his. He finished before me.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I did new pads and rotors on my JSW with 72K miles. I bought the parts and my brother-in-law (excellent mechanic in Danbury, CT) provided the labor...
Don't you mean that your brother-in-law did new pads and rotors on your JSW...

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I replaced the lug that requires the wheel lock to remove it. Not sure about the paint; mechanic worked on my car while I worked on his. He finished before me.
I hated those locking bolts.

somehow, the bit for my locking bolts disappeared from the spare tire foam holder a service visit or two after I went with the plain bolts.

so if you want to save them, be smarter than I was, and put the locking bit in the bag with the locking bolts.

:cool: