'10 SportWagen DSG STALLED!

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf SportWagon (canadian car)
Hello All, My wife just reported that the out 10 golf Wagen DSG stalled on her while coming to a stop. Any thoughts? Thanks!

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
That happened to me once. I assume she restarted and went on her way and it has not occurred since, and may never occur again. My understanding is a DSG stall can occur but is rare.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Call a tow truck? I'm not really sure what answer you expect to get. Lots of things could cause an engine to quit running :confused:

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Perhaps it was in the middle of a regen, the transmission let go the clutch while there was no fuel being supplied just before, so the RPMs dropped too quickly before the ECU gave it some fuel for idle, causing the engine to stall.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Never had a stall or anything other than perfect DSG operation... How many manual drivers stall? All of them.... then they restart and look around to see if anyone saw them.....

I'm amazed that DSG does not stall more often, taking off or coming to stop.

Tow truck... ha ha ha... No have some one (not dealer) with VCDS cable and read the codes. Go test drive it for the wife, see what it does.

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Mine has stalled a couple times. Both occassions were a result of using the throttle to hold a hill while waiting for a car to pass. It started creeping, so I let off, then I pressed the go pedal a fraction of a second later and it stalled.

I don't do that anymore!! That was a few months after purchase. There were no codes.
Donald

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Mine has stalled a couple times. Both occassions were a result of using the throttle to hold a hill while waiting for a car to pass. It started creeping, so I let off, then I pressed the go pedal a fraction of a second later and it stalled.

I don't do that anymore!! That was a few months after purchase. There were no codes.
Donald
I mentioned in a different thread where a guy was complaining that the DSG was no good because it stalled. He also stalled the manual trans that he is currently driving. My comment at that time was " I think it's the way you drive" You just confirmed that but as you so appropriately state " I don't do that anymore!!" Good for you.........as some here are to quick to blame the car not ourselves. We all learn by our mistakes if we don't we are destined to repeat them. Thanks for your understanding of cause and effect.;)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Never had a stall or anything other than perfect DSG operation... How many manual drivers stall? All of them.... then they restart and look around to see if anyone saw them.....

I'm amazed that DSG does not stall more often, taking off or coming to stop.

Tow truck... ha ha ha... No have some one (not dealer) with VCDS cable and read the codes. Go test drive it for the wife, see what it does.
I had 2010 JSW with DSG and it never stalled. But the CR engines seem to have a fuel cut-off at about 600 rpm. Let it drop to that point (not enough throttle or too quick to lift the clutch), and it stops like a brick hitting the ground! I almost never stall my 2014 (6MT) anymore. No, I wasn't ashamed of stalling it and didn't "look around to see if anyone was looking". ;) I suspect that the TDI makes much less torque at idle (no turbo), so it is not surprising.

Occasionally stalling a late model TDI with a 6MT is actually pretty common, especially before you get used to the clutch.

Last edited: