40K TDI / DSG Maintenance Cost?

cmeller

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
So I've been a happy owner of a 2010 TDI (DSG) Sportwagon for just under 2 years and just had my 30K free maintenance done at the dealer. Now that I'm on the hook for future maintenance I want to start budgeting as the 40K is a big cost. So my dealer gave me an estimate of ~$400 for the DSG, ~$90 for the oil change. He did say after doing all the other required work it would be about $900 out the door (rotating tires, break fluid, etc).

I know this is a pricey service appointment but I wanted to hear what others are paying for their 40K appointment and see if I can haggle a little. If it helps I'm in the Northern Burbs of Chicago but get up to Milwaukee enough that if I find something cheaper up there I can do it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They have typically run $300 to $400 for the 40k mile and the same for the DSG itself. Find a good trusted mechanic in the list in my signature (research them here first) and switch to an independant. They should easily be able to do it for half the $900 cost at least. Some have said they do both for $300 or so. $900 is way on the high side for this service.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
As I will be taking my 2011 Golf TDI DSG in on Monday for it's 10,000 maintenance schedule, I'll ask what they charge. I should note at the 40,000 miles check up, I'll be asking them to only change oil/filter and transmission/filter fluids. I drive 35-40,000 per year.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I paid $400 for my DSG service at 40K and pay $65 for the oil changes. FF changes are $85. My brake fluid was done free of charge at my 30K service. If you have done only what you need to have done, it should not cost you more than $600 for your entire service. Please check your dealers website for valuable coupons. I find oil change coupons for $49.95 and 10% off service which would come in very handy for you:)

Just had my rear brakes done using a $99 coupon for labor and pads...AWESOME deal. Shop smart and don't get suckered into doing everything the dealer "wants" you to do!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
My 2010 maintenance schedule says the 1st brake fluid change is at 3 years, and then ever 2 years thereafter. I have an idea that this was a 'cost saving' move on VW's part -- to push it out beyond the period of the 'free' service.

So the original poster could consider holding off on the brake fluid change and just do the fluid/filter changes at this service.

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
As for budgeting, save 10$/week and in two years right around that 40k mark you can afford the 900$ shop bill...

Well I'm fairly confident I won't step back into a VW service shop after the freebies 1k is a big note to swallow of course $100/hr shop rates are what get ya...

Maybe I'd have them do the DSG service but that's it

JasonD

TDI
2011 JSW
Find a new dealer. I recently paid $65 for an oil change and while I was there saw 40k service was around $450.

T

TDI Rooster

what free service is that I've had to pay from the 1st to current no free service for as mention throughout all the post is that part of a prepaid pkg. -- probably past the free services anyways -- haven't found a non-dealer mechanic that will do any free stuff whatever that is..?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
In Canada we pay for service - apparently in the US they were sold with 3 year free maintenance...
Yep, you guys got some different options and standard goodies (like coolant heaters, foglights....) We got 'free' service for the first 36k miles, which amounts to 3 oil changes and tire rotations, a fuel filter, and a cabin air filter.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
amounts to 3 oil changes and tire rotations, a fuel filter, and a cabin air filter.
Please don't sell VW Service short!!

They also:

check engine for leaks
check exhaust system
check battery
check door straps: lubricate
check coolant level, add if necessary
check windshield washer fluid level, add if necessary
check automatic shift lock
Automatic transmission: check for leaks
Manual transmission: check oil level add if necessary. check for leaks
rotate wheels
check spare tire
check brakes for damage/leaks. brake pad thickness and brake fluid level
drive shaft, check boots
scan for codes
Roof frame: clean and lubricate
Front axle: check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends. check tie rods
Headlights: adjust
Airbag system: visually check
Road test: check kickdown, braking, steering,heating and ventilation, air conditioning, power accessories and electrical systems

Surely all those carefully-performed checks have value !!!

Yuri

enki

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
"Airbag system: visually check"

*technician looks at steering wheel*...."Yep, it looks like it's still in there. Check."

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I got a verbal quote while getting the 10000 mile service.(Gunther VW ,Buford) They said $650 for the complete 40000 mile service. Of course, the price may double by the time I need it.

Donald

rtcarlin

TDI
2011 Golf TDI w/ DSG
...but if you have aftermarket wheels, they won't touch them, so no rotations or pressure checks... :mad:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
But those who have aftermarket wheels [should] want to do it themselves anyway, since they don't trust the dealers.

I have VW 17" Goals, and last time I rotated my tires, I noticed some nice rub marks inside the lug pockets. I only had my car serviced at a dealer once -- at the 10k mark when I was in California for work. They did my first oil change and dribbled oil all over the white EGR sleeve. And they made marks on my wheels with their impact drivers.

Incidentally, that's why I'm here on this forum. Dealer incompetence going back to my first TDI purchase in 2000.

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Purchased VAGCOM, DSG fluid/filter, Oil/Filter, Fuel and cabin filter for the 40K service. I'll rotate the tires and flush the brake fluid.... Figured I'd do it myself from here on out and save some $$.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Just had mine done for $482 at the dealer. It would have been $760'ish (can't remember the exact number), but our extended warranty covered the oil, tire rotation, and something else. We got a 15% discount also b/c my wife is a nurse. I wish I could find a guru around here in central Florida that I could take it to.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
DIY here too... Parts & supplies from ID parts.com for $129. I purchased the funnel that works flawlessly for a top fill method through the filter center hole for $4 at Autozone. I used an IR thermometer to check DSG temps for the fill procedure. No VAGCOM, and 18,000 miles of great DSG shifting since completed.

The write ups here on the forum make it about as difficult as changing engine oil. YMMV.

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
Took my JSW in just for the 40000 DSG service, $300.00, and with that I got a 2013 Passat loaner car for the day. Works for me.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Just had my 40k service done at CDIcars(.com) in Victor NY (local German/Euro car shop). Ordered my parts online (ECStuning and IDparts for DSG kit, total $200) and labor was around $300. $500 vs $700+ dealer. Top notch service as always. Proper amounts into the gearbox and engine, and they left the remaining DSG fluid and engine oil. I even asked if they could save the old fuel filter cartridge for me to examine.. and they did :D (looks clean, (I'll tear into it this weekend, PM me if you are wanting pics etc, see additive usage below) and they did not report metal in the canister on the write up). Tires also rotated and in my case balanced, and the car sounds, drives, and shifts like it's new (sounds better than new actually :p). Got 43.4 mpg on a six mile test drive into town (fully warmed up at start, I also have the latest revision cold weather intercooler kit installed late spring early summer 2012) whereas two years ago (around 20k miles then) I would net 39 mpg on the same trip with the same conditions. Very pleased with the service at CDI.

However, one question. I filled up with diesel after picking the car up today, and my computer told me I only had a 320 mile range... but 12.9 gallons went into the tank.. it was indeed brimmed to the filler neck, as I always do. It proceeded to go up to 420 before I pulled into the driveway after the aforementioned test drive, but I'm just wondering if opening up the fuel system and re priming it confuses the car, and it needs a tank or so to sort it self out (it usually says 550 miles remaining after I fill up, and continues to say 550 until I put 100 miles on the tank :D) Thoughts? Again, CDIcars is highly recommended to anyone in upstate NY in need of a guru/competent shop. They got my car in and out in one day. My hat is off to them.

Last edited:

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
I can't begin to imagine how many cars get the sunshine treatment as their DSG service.

Jniemann

TDI
2010 Touareg
40K TDI / DSG Maintenance Cost

I took my 2011 Jetta Sportswagen TDI in to the VW dealer in Merrillville, IN., at 40K and it cost me $800. I'll be paying for oil changes from this point on and I understand it will cost nearly $85. I am looking into doing it myself for half as much.

TrailerBot

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG
"Maybe....if they're actually done.

I have my doubts.....I bet the tech gives a quick glance for anything dripping (if he even does that much), and bills VW for the book rate..."

Took mine in for 30k service and the oil is black, is that because synthetic oil is black or because they didn't change the oil?

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
The oil in a diesel is black the second you pour it in. I did my 40K service this morning (it's raining so I'll rotate the tires later) and the oil was black when I checked the level. I know I put the right stuff in.

The fuel filter change is a lillte messy, but nothing about the service was difficult or even that time consuming. I drained the oil from underneath so I could inspect all the hoses etc.

I used my VCDS to prime the fuel system, but I'm not sure that it was totally needed. Regular maintenance is a totally doable DIY job. I personally coudn't imagine paying someone else big $$$ to do it.