Golf Tdi Made in Germany? Sportswagen made in Mexico?

dorian10

TDI
sportwagen
Newbie looking to buy a Jetta Sportswagen, I noticed that it is assembled in Mexico, with tranny and engine made in Germany.

But the Golf Tdi is made in Germany.

Don't really want a golf, but will I have less problems because its made in Germany?

Why did Vw do this? :eek:

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
The only problem I've actually had with my JSW to date is a CV that seems to have slung out the grease. Gonna run it to the dealership for a warranty fix next week or so. The QC seems to be quite high.

2X TDI

TDI
09 JSW; 11 Golf
Worry more about component failure versus where it is made.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Golfs are assembled in Wolfsburg, Germany.
Jettas are assembled in Puebla, Mexico.

Puebla is not Wolfsburg.

Puebla has labor problems. There was a strike in August 2010 (one of many strikes). Although the Puebla plant is one of the most modern in the world, VW of America rejected Mexican produced VW's in the 90's because of quality control problems. I'm not going to say any more. I might get in trouble.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
ALL VWs (whether built in Germany, Mexico, Brazil, or where ever) are all built with the same robots. The labor force has only minor implications (except for work stoppages). There have been bad VWs coming off the assembly lines in Mexico and in Germany, etc.. There seems to be very little difference in build quality based on country of manufacture. With VWs it seems to have more to do with the "luck-of-the-draw" as to whether you get a good one or a bad one. IOW: did you happen to get any bad parts in your car. As stated above, I would not base my buying decision on the country of manufacture. All VW factories turn out both good (and bad) cars.

Have Fun!

Don

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Why did Vw do this? :eek:
Dorian, welcome aboard! No need to fret.

A visit to the Volkswagen factory in Mexico

Vast auto plant outside Puebla combines sparkling cleanliness with prolific output

by James M. Flammang

Main entrance to factory, at km. 116
on Mexico City-Puebla highway

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]PUEBLA, Mexico - Far more than in most parts of the world, Beetles are everywhere in Mexico. Not just the New Beetles that debuted for 1998, either, but the original rear-engine models. The reason is simple: Volkswagen continued to manufacture, and to sell, the original Beetle design long after it disappeared from the market in the United States. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Built on the outskirts of Puebla, the second largest city in Mexico, in 1965, the Volkswagen plant began to turn out cars in 1967. This year, the state´s governor attended the 40th anniversary event. So did countless employees. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]At Puebla, Volkswagen turns out Bora and Jetta models - along with New Beetles. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Training comes first, to maintain quality standards[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Whenever a company establishes a factory in Mexico or elsewhere in Latin America, a selection of stereotypes emerges. Analysts fret about quality control, wondering if a fresh workforce with little or no experience in factory methods can get the job done right. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva]A tour through Volkswagen's plant quickly dispels such concerns. In part, this is a matter of history. After all, Volkswagen has been manufacturing cars at Puebla for four decades, so they're far from newcomers to the field. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]From the beginning, training has been a strong point at the Volkswagen factory, to attempt to keep quality on par with German-made VW models. On-site schools teach potential new workers to operate the 800 robots on the production floor. But workers might also learn German at some point. Conversely, German employees may learn Spanish. Portuguese and English are taught, too. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Mainly, though, Building 40 contains a training institute for mechanics. Training is similar to that offered in Germany, in that 80 percent of the instruction involves practical skills. Students come from all over Mexico, according to communications representative Janina Haidtke, and can learn to operate the 800 robots that dot the factory. Some 10 percent of the students are girls. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]More than a thousand applications for training are received each year, but only 150 are admitted. Each student receive a symbolic award of 100 pesos (about 10 dollars) at the conclusion of training. A job at Volkswagen is not guaranteed, but the successful student might instead be hired at one of the many suppliers that have established themselves near Volkswagen's factory. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Officially called Volkswagen de Mexico, S.A. de C.V., the factory sits on 300 hectares of land. Suppliers occupy the nearby FINSA Industrial Park. Volkswagen operates under the "just in time concept," which means that components must be scheduled to arrive at the assembly time when they are needed. If parts come too soon, they take up excessive space along the line. And if they're too late, the assembly line is subject to shutdown until the components catch up with assembly. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Inside the factory: starting with the Stamping hall[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]In the Stamping Machine Hall, which began operation in 2004, six presses are busy turning out body panels. One of the presses is fully automated, undertaking its task in six steps. The stamping presses can apply pressure as great as 7,500 tons. Though noisier than other parts of the factory, as expected considering the job being done here, the stamping area is not overpowering with sounds. That's partly because doors are installed to keep noise concentrated within the presses. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Stamping "tools" are color-coded: yellow for Bora models, blue for Beetles. Tools can be changed without the use of manual labor. Because demand for the Bora is so strong, its stampings are done on the newest (and fastest) machine. What communications manager Luis Miguel Briones calls the "old-fashioned one" delivers the same quality, but is a bit slower. In contrast, the oldest stamping press demonstrates German technology from the 1950s. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Bringing the biggest press to Puebla turned into quite a battle. Getting it across the ocean and through the Gulf of Mexico by ship was no problem. But to get the press from Veracruz, on the Gulf Coast, to Puebla, some new bridges had to be built to withstand the heavy load. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva]A stamping press also is used to produce spare parts for the original-style Beetles. Because the last one left the assembly line only four years ago, in 2003, spare parts will still be needed for a while. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Volkswagen assembly procedures: 30 hours, start to finish[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]In the Body Assembly building that turns out Bora A5 models, 700 to 800 robots engage in spot welding, laser welding, and gluing of exterior parts. Almost 60 laser robots are used, because they're considerably faster. Previous bodies were spot-welded at 5,000 points. With the laser, that total is down 50 percent. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]This assembly hall is 80 percent automated. "Workers put steel into the machines, or robots," Heidtke said. "Robots guarantee a high quality. They work very fast and are practical." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]In the area where Body Assembly of Jetta A5/Golf models takes place, bodies come from the paint hall complete with doors. Then, doors are removed to ease installation of carpets, seats, and other parts. Carpets come from a French-German supplier and installed as a single piece, which weighs 120 kilograms. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]An Assembly Form (dubbed a "birth certificate") is attached to the back of the car and stays with it through the process. Both left-hand-drive and right-hand-drive models are assembled here. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]At one point along the line, the body and chassis are united. In a process described by Briones as a "marriage," the Bora's chassis comes up from below, in a single step. Sensors at front and rear guide the mating, and tolerances are claimed to be about 0.1 millimeter. For other models, the body/chassis joining takes place in a series of several steps. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Doors are reattached later in the process, after interior elements have been installed. White paper is applied to the nearly-completed car for protection; it will be taken off later, at the dealership. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Near the end of the line, a computer is placed on the steering wheel, to check all electrical components. Wheels are attached, and each car gets 12 liters of fuel (gas or diesel). Four-fifths of the wheels come from the U.S., but 20 percent are made in Mexico. All told, it takes 30 hours to assemble a typical Volkswagen at Puebla. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Every Volkswagen gets a test-drive before shipment[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Every car is tested on the 3.5-kilometer track, which contains several pavement surfaces and curves as well as straightaways. The track is used 24 hours a day. Volkswagens also get a seven-minute water test, to find any leaks. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]About 80 percent of the Volkswagens built in Puebla are exported - half of them to the U.S. Some cars are shipped to Veracruz or Acapulco, where they will be loaded onto ships. Others go north by train, for a 60-hour trip to Houston or San Diego. Ships hold 6,500 cars. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Like a small city in itself, the Puebla plant has its own fire station, along with a medical center, five banks, and a travel agency. Three lakes may be seen on the premises, supplying recycled water for the fire station. More than a hundred buses provide free rides to workers who live in the Puebla area. Volkswagen even boasts the biggest restaurant in Latin America: eight separate units; preparing and serving some 14,000 meals each day. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Beetle stands tall in Volkswagen history[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Not far from the plant entrance is a Beetle monument, commemorating the importance of that model to Volkswagen's history and development. Nearby is the "Memories of Tears" Hall. The last original-type Beetles rolled off the line at Puebla on July 13, 2003. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]Some 3,000 units of the last edition were produced. "The history of this plant is the Bug," said Luis Miguel Briones. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva]In October 2007, Volkswagen celebrated the 10th anniversary of the New Beetle. To mark the 10th anniversary, a Barbie special-edition has been introduced. Another special edition, said to be "for boys," also is expected to emerge. [/FONT]

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
If you hang around here long enough, it seems that there are more complaints from Golf owners relating to squeaks and rattles and trim issues than JSW owners... no?

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
If you hang around here long enough, it seems that there are more complaints from Golf owners relating to squeaks and rattles and trim issues than JSW owners... no?
Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. It seems to me that I hear more complaints about squeaks, door seals, and sunroof problems from JSW owners.

If memory serves me correctly, the JSW gets an Average reliability rating in Consumer Reports, while the Golf MKVI gets above average. I don't attribute this to the country of manufacture, but rather that the MKVI design is updated for a more streamlined (simpler) manufacturing process. Fewer steps during manufacture = less opportunities for problems, regardless of whether those steps are performed in Germany or Mexico.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
Think the sunroof in the JSW's can be problematic - size - and the door seals, but for squeaks and rattles and trim the Golf is the winner.

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
just looking at the 2010 intial quality, only considering the Golf and Jetta in the USA market, for the manufacturing defects the mexico factory is 75 problems per hundred units and the germany factory is 94 problems per hundred units
mexico wins!!!

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
just looking at the 2010 intial quality, only considering the Golf and Jetta in the USA market, for the manufacturing defects the mexico factory is 75 problems per hundred units and the germany factory is 94 problems per hundred units
mexico wins!!!
Thanks, for helping me look like I know what I am talking about!:)

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
my mexico buil ALH 2003 jetta NEVR had a squeak in 275.000kms....my new Golf...Germany...snug as a bug so far....pretty well same build in both countries...nobody can tell you the difference...really

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
My Passat built in Germany was full of issues.
My GSW built in Mexico has been vastly superior!

German factory lines are NOT full of Germans assembling cars...there are many many unskilled/skilled? labourers from countries all over Europe looking for work...

Last edited:

traffictzar

TDI
2010 Golf TDi 6AM
The Mk IV Jetta sedan was assembled in Mexico; the Jetta Wagon in Wolfsburg. The data at Edmunds indicated that the wagon had significantly fewer problems than the sedan, and that the majority of problems with the sedan were related to assembly (e.g., electrical connections, power seat positioning, sensors in the cabin, etc.). I bought the Golf over the JSW for that reason, and I would be reluctant to buy the Jetta assembled in Mexico.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
VW of America rejected Mexican produced VW's in the 90's because of quality control problems.
Shame VOA didn't reject more American produced (Westmoreland, PA) VW's in the early 80's because of quality control problems. :eek:

Torero

TDI
MKVI Golf TDI 6mt
Being a proud American I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I'd be more worried about Jetta's made in the US. Seriously though, the automation in place at all VW's manufacturing facilities should provide sufficiently high levels of QC

Humanfactor

TDI
None yet
German Passat vs Mexican Jetta

This has been my experience:

In 1999 I bought the "Camry Killer" Passat Wagon. This car is made in Germany and had many problems, primarily engine/transmission/gear shifting related problems. I was very unhappy with this car and eventually sold it to a VW mechanic who knew about these problems.

In 2001 I bought a Jetta 2.0 red, auto, sunroof, leather seats, alloy wheels and I am stilling driving this every day. I actually drive about 100 miles a day for my work commute. I currently have 191,000 miles on it. I have always enjoyed driving this car, fun to drive, comfortable, good looks (btw, I'm not too fond of the current Jetta design). Not that it was without issues, but the issues have been more worn out parts, e.g. check engine light for a bad O2 sensor, those plastic clips that hold up the door windows breaking, etc... but still, it has been a fun and reliable drive. The car body is completely rust free and the engine still sounds and behaves great... though after a long drive when I come to a stop-light I get a bit of rumbling. I am now trying higher octane petrol to see if that makes a difference.

I am hoping to break the 200,000 mile mark. All good things eventually come to an end, so I am now looking at my next car. On top of the list is the Golf TDI followed by a few non VW's (Mini cooper, Honda CR-Z, Suburu BRZ).

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
We have a 2011 Golf (Germany) and a 2013 Golf Wagon (Mexico). The Golf has 82k km, the wagon, 5k km. So far too early to tell on the wagon, but I can tell you it's built as tight as a bank vault, even more so than the hatch, IMHO.

Quality-wise, the hatch has had the dreaded intercooler icing that still causes the odd hiccup even though the TSB was done, and a stuck rear brake caliper, and the OEM Hankook tires turned out to be garbage (multiple punctures, and a blowout at speed, and I'm anal about keeping tire pressures up for fuel efficiency). The wagon so far has had nothing, which is what I'd expect at 5000 km...

Worry less, drive more :p

Last edited:

homelessgdog

TDI
12 Golf TDI 4dr 6spd m/t
Anything man made can fail. I've owned Chevy Ford Dodge Acura Nissan Toyota now a VW. Never had a problem with any vehicle with all vehicles driven over 100k miles! I take the good with the bad. Good luck with the JSW. I love my Golf.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Starting with the next golf they will all be built in Mexico, not sure about the GTI, my 2011 JSW TDI has no major issues since I bought it and it now has 52k on it

WeLikeBananas

Veteran Member
TDI
Future JSW
I've owned two Ford Focuses both made in Mexico and both have had no more than a normal and reasonable amount of problems. Not at all scared of the JSW's place of manufacture.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Saw this information somewhere else. All these cars are ultimately made china regardless of where they are assembled. The components are made in china. The robots used in Germany and Mexico are made in china. Therefore your car was made in china. Drive it and enjoy!

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
op's original thread started in april/11. wanted a jsw but considered a golf cause it was made in germany(?) therefore less probs(?). don't know what they chose but these are quite different vehicles behind the rear seats. i initially had reservations because i thought i was buying a german 'marquis' vehicle and had a tough time paying so much money for a mexican labour built vehicle...until i drove it. interior, ride, feel, paint, styling, build line quality. it was all there + the promise of great fuel economy. like some consumer auto reviews have stated re: jsw/gsw, "arguably one of the smartest places to park your automotive dollar." even if it is assembled in mexico rather than germany.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
My Jetta Sportwagen was built in Mexico. It's a good car.

I own a Dodge Ram truck built in Mexico and have owned two others previously, all hecho en mexico. All have been defect free for a combined 700,000 miles.

Given the choice I'd choose Mexico built over US labor union built everytime.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I’m military and just returned from four year tour in Germany and all though they call the JSW a Golf Variant they are also made in Mexico. So I think if the Germans can drive Mexican built cars you should be ok.

FLHX1550

TDI
2013 Golf TDI 4-Dr
From what I understand, at least in the Golfs that are available in the US (not sure of the JSW), the TDI and GTI versions of the car are made in Germany (VIN# starts with a "W"), where as the 2.5L versions are made in Mexico.

Now I myself have traveled all over North America installing / training on CNC Machining equipment and to be honest, with the dozen or so trips I have done to Mexico I have yet to see any reason why the quality could be any less than that of the same part made in the US or anywhere else in the world.

We worked with GE / Toshiba in the US at their power generation plants machining turbine blades (Greenville, SC & Bangor, ME) and their sister plant in Cienega de Flores, MX and the facility in Mexico was much more efficient. More up time, more thru-put, and less quality issues. Now an argument could be made as to why it was the way it was (newer facility, newer equipment, non-union vs union, etc....) but that is how it was.

My father and uncle both retired from Chrysler, and my uncle was a plant manager at Mound Road Assembly (Detroit - this is where they build the current 1500 Ram and Durango) and at one point Chrysler had 3 truck plants assembling trucks, Detroit, St. Louis, and Hermosillo, Mexico. And for many years, the Hermosillo facility had the lowest number of issues with squeaks, rattles, etc....

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
Mexicans mow the perfect golf lawns in the US, they clean the pools that are spotless for all our college kids go fill up with puke, urine and beer during spring break, they make any US city landscape pretty by making sure the buildings are spotless so we can take pictures of them, they did the plumbing in your house, they built your house, they poured the foundation of your house, they service your car every time you take it to the dealership for warranty service, they cook your food, process your food, serve your food and deliver your food.

In short, you trust them with your health, your house, your safety and your nutrition. Now stop being a racist bigot and buy the car you want. If it wasn't for that sticker you'd never know the difference.

Not enough to satisfy your prejudice? Try this: VW owns the plant. They train the people. They provide the procedures for quality assurance and determined the cars are up to spec. The last person to inspect the cars and plant to make sure they are up to spec is a German dude who flies in from Germany. Seeing as he probably is never as satisfied with Mexican beer as he is with real (German) beer, he probably takes his frustrations out on the workers and dings them for more things than he would his fellow Germans. There, happy now?

(Please read beyond the truthful sarcasm of my post to understand the ridiculousness of your concerns)