06 DSG Jetta noise on Decel

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
Hey everyone! My wifes 06 DSG Jetta 270k is making a weird noise on the front left side like its a bearing or brake issue. It goes quiet when hitting the brakes and only occurs on decel. Putting the car in neutral and letting it coast does quiet the noise almost to silence. Thanks all!

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Can you describe the noise? Is it a clicking noise? A humming noise? Does the noise change with the engine speed or wheel speed? Does it happen when coasting both in gear or in neutral?

Some possibilities in order of easiest/cheapest first: Sub frame related issues, control arm bushings, CV joint/axle, DMF.

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
It sounds like a brake issue/caliper hanging up. I'm digging into it today hope its not a dmf as mine was replaced 80k ago. Why does it only do it when it decels I'd think it would do it accel and decel? thanks for your reply

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Does it create the same noise when in neutral as it does when it's in drive? Some have had odd fluttering noises on deceleration that ended up being EGR related.

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
I can def tell its coming from the left front wheel area. The noise gets very quiet almost silent when I put it in neutral. When I hit the brakes it does the same thing.

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
Jacked it up got the wheels spinning 60mph and let off the gas and not a peep everything is tight wheel spins freely...bet its the DMF....no rattle though....damn thing.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
So the noise returns when you hit the brakes? Is it a creaking sound?