Could HPFP failure cause emissions failure?

TDIturf

TDI
06 Jetta Sedan, 09 Jetta Sportwagon
Hadn't thought about asking this here, don't know why not? If its been addressed on another thread, I apologize.
As a result of an HPFP failure, is there something that could also cause an emissions failure? This happened to my 09 JSW.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Hadn't thought about asking this here, don't know why not? If its been addressed on another thread, I apologize.
As a result of an HPFP failure, is there something that could also cause an emissions failure? This happened to my 09 JSW.
Did you have an HPFP failure? Usually when an HPFP goes, the car will not go. It is a sudden and immediate stopping of the engine. If an HPFP failure was properly repaired, the car should pass emissions testing just fine. I cannot see how an HPFP could fail and the car run well enough to even get to an emissions testing facility. Is there more to your story, or are you just curious?

Have Fun!

Don

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Little more information on your emissions failure? Did they replace the whole fuel system? Example injectors.

TDIturf

TDI
Yes, HPFP failure. But car didn't quit all of a sudden. Probably drove it 15 miles or so b4 it finally quit. Entire fuel system replaced except fuel tank. After that was done, they claimed the emissions system had failed. They have replaced all catalytic converters, DPF, egr cooler.....basically everything between turbo and muffler/tailpipe. Now the computer is reading a high pressure reading on the HPFP and is surging. A factory VW tech is supposed to look at it tomorrow. Dealer couldn't figure it out.

TDIturf

TDI
There are several posts under 2009 CR that go into more detail.

Look under "what to do, what to do, what to do?"

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
Yes, HPFP failure. .. They have replaced all catalytic converters, DPF, egr cooler.....basically everything between turbo and muffler/tailpipe. Now the computer is reading a high pressure reading on the HPFP and is surging. A factory VW tech is supposed to look at it tomorrow. Dealer couldn't figure it out.
That doesn't sound like the classic HPFP failure I keep reading about.. the one where it floats metal swarf through the entire fuel system. Do you have more details on exactly how the HPFP failed to cause the DPF, cat, etc. to require replacing, but not the injectors, fuel tanks, etc?

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Yes, HPFP failure. But car didn't quit all of a sudden. Probably drove it 15 miles or so b4 it finally quit. Entire fuel system replaced except fuel tank. After that was done, they claimed the emissions system had failed. They have replaced all catalytic converters, DPF, egr cooler.....basically everything between turbo and muffler/tailpipe. Now the computer is reading a high pressure reading on the HPFP and is surging. A factory VW tech is supposed to look at it tomorrow. Dealer couldn't figure it out.

If the HPFP fail slowly and was not maintain the proper steady pressure. In turn the injectors would have a poor spray pattern aka smoke and soot. It's possible it could clog DPF. How much will ECM the compensate to prevent this. I have no idea. The ECM does monitor cylinder pressure I just don't what it would try do with the wacky out cylinder pressure readings. My guess it will try to balance out the cylinder pressures.

TDIturf

TDI
Patbob

Injectors, fuel rail, lines, all pumps, everything in fuel system was replaced. They cleaned out tank and reused it. What I'm asking is if there was something that could have caused emissions failure due to the HPFP failure. They said everything was stopped up in the emissions.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
If the HPFP fail slowly and was not maintain the proper steady pressure. In turn the injectors would have a poor spray pattern aka smoke and soot. It's possible it could clog DPF. How much will ECM the compensate to prevent this. I have no idea. The ECM does monitor cylinder pressure I just don't what it would try do with the wacky out cylinder pressure readings. My guess it will try to balance out the cylinder pressures.
Patbob

Injectors, fuel rail, lines, all pumps, everything in fuel system was replaced. They cleaned out tank and reused it. What I'm asking is if there was something that could have caused emissions failure due to the HPFP failure. They said everything was stopped up in the emissions.
I answer your question. If you don't understand how TDI fuel Injection works . No problem. Yes it's possible that a slow dying HPFP could clog DPF. If the fuel injectors don't have the correct fuel pressure.The spray and pattern and the atomization of the fuel gets wacky. aka poor combustion

TDIturf

TDI
Thanks MonsterTDI109

Saw where you had answered it earlier. Post was a response to pat bob.

Thanks for all of your help.

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
Thanks to all of you who took the time to explain this to me. Diesel I understand, but I'm still learning about the new emission systems and how they interact as systems.