NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Keep in mind that the C-Max is a TALL vehicle.

More frontal area == more drag.

More drag == worse fuel economy.
On my Saturday test, rain, road construction, a/c on, mix of highway 70mph and city streets I averaged 42.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
HPFP jetta goes in for repair a third time

This may be a bit of a silly question:
Is there any reasonable way to prevent the spread of the metal debris throughout the remainder of the fuel system when/if the HPFP fails?

...So, is it possible to mount/install a fuel filter that will prevent the scattering of metal debris throughout the fuel system...or not?

QUOTE]

No one answered this question above from shuswap on another thread...so I am reposting.

My 2010 had hpfp failure...they replaced hpfp in July. Now they just replaced my other fuel pump. I stated I wanted my entire fuel system replaced, stating safety issue and the fact that my 60000 mile drive train warranty is gone in 500 miles. According to the 'customer care' advocate, VOA has fixed it according to VW specifications, car is ready to be picked up and loaner needs to be returned. She should be called "VOA" advocate. When questioned whether they will be able to connect the dots, say for example when my fuel rail blows due to contamination with metal shards...and I am out of warranty. I said the whole fuel system is connected and if the pumps were contaminated then the rail could be a ticking time bomb...she said the whole car is connected.

So...my question, now that they have replaced both fuel pumps...the first repair showing metal shards in the filter (second one they said 'debri' found in filter).....what are the chances that metal flakes are in the rest of the fuel system??
I just got my car back on Friday nite...they had it for a week while VoA got involved to do nothing but refuse my request for an entire new fuel system. Fast forward four days to my Tuesday afternoon driving home from work. GLOW LIGHTS start flashing after 40 minutes and sluggish. Was able to drive to the dealer (yet again). No word yet. At this point, all I can do is laugh...it may be a defective sensor, but wouldn't it be fun if I had metal shards in my fuel rail from the first failure of the hpfp? Possible??

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I just got my car back on Friday nite...they had it for a week while VoA got involved to do nothing but refuse my request for an entire new fuel system. Fast forward four days to my Tuesday afternoon driving home from work. GLOW LIGHTS start flashing after 40 minutes and sluggish. Was able to drive to the dealer (yet again). No word yet. At this point, all I can do is laugh...it may be a defective sensor, but wouldn't it be fun if I had metal shards in my fuel rail from the first failure of the hpfp? Possible??[/QUOTE

So the dealer just replace the HPFP the first time:eek: Everthing on the fuel system should of been replace.I would say yes on the metal in the system.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
HPFP jetta goes in for repair a third time

:mad::mad:Update....VoA Michele calls to let me know that they are going to replace the fuel rail. I say this is silly...obviously the fuel system is contaminated with metal shards from the first HPFP failure. Are you going to replace each part of the fuel system one by one? I tell her I am disheartened. She says they are reviewing the problem and she will call me Monday. I repeat to her that I am very well read on the subject of HPFP failures, ask her if she read the 27 pages of the safecar.gov investigation I sent her that shows that other TDI owners with the same problem got their entire fuel system replaced...all I can do is laugh and stay calm.

I love my car...I have a 2012 loaner from the dealer...what a tin can...my 2010 is so much nicer, plush, compared to the new TDI. My other loaner was a gas 2012 Passat...again not as nice as my car. VW has really cut out the bells n whistles of their car. This will be my last one after 20 years of driving jettas...three that I have put over 150000 miles each. I was hoping to do the same with this TDI...but alas no.

Michele is a case manager...should I ask to talk to her supervisor? Comments? Thanks is advance for your help...TDI club and you all are awesome!

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
:mad::mad:Update....VoA Michele calls to let me know that they are going to replace the fuel rail. I say this is silly...obviously the fuel system is contaminated with metal shards from the first HPFP failure. Are you going to replace each part of the fuel system one by one? I tell her I am disheartened. She says they are reviewing the problem and she will call me Monday. I repeat to her that I am very well read on the subject of HPFP failures, ask her if she read the 27 pages of the safecar.gov investigation I sent her that shows that other TDI owners with the same problem got their entire fuel system replaced...all I can do is laugh and stay calm.

I love my car...I have a 2012 loaner from the dealer...what a tin can...my 2010 is so much nicer, plush, compared to the new TDI. My other loaner was a gas 2012 Passat...again not as nice as my car. VW has really cut out the bells n whistles of their car. This will be my last one after 20 years of driving jettas...three that I have put over 150000 miles each. I was hoping to do the same with this TDI...but alas no.

Michele is a case manager...should I ask to talk to her supervisor? Comments? Thanks is advance for your help...TDI club and you all are awesome!
When I was dealing with "Michele" on another issue, it worked out to "it is my way or the highway". Very discouraged with VW customer care, quite frankly it is a joke. Would not give me her last name nor her bosses name. No more new VW's, never again...there are better choices, sadly.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
When they get multiple cases of repeated failures under warranty resulting in multiple lemon-law claims due to cheapskatedly only replacing individual parts, they'll stop doing that.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
Thanks for the lemon law info gofaster. Chudzikb, I see you are from lancaster, pa...Most definitely we had the same case manager. Michele would not give me her last name either and it was definitely her way or no way.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
She went so far to say that my local dealers body shop did not know what they were talking about and I needed to go elsewhere.I have used the local dealers body shop for everything I have owned and respect the work that they do, have never let me down. (that and all my body shop friends said they were right as well) I was less than impressed. If they want more market share, customer service is a driver of repeat business. The ball has been dropped by VW, in a big way.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You should both talk to the owner and find out when the area rep will be there. That kind of customer service should not be tolerated.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
\VoA Michele calls to let me know that they are going to replace the fuel rail.
Here we go! This is going to be good!!

Normally, you have to pay for entertainment as funny as this. Hang in there, Amy.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
Hpfp finally they are replacing my fuel system

:rolleyes: Michele my case manager for VofA calls me today and tells me they are replacing the fuel system...everything but the tank. They are going to clean that out.

I am so exhausted from worry, and from my experience with VofA and Michele. Now she's acting like she's been behind me 100%, on my side rooting for me the whole time. I kept asking for the fuel system to be replaced, for VofA to do the right thing, she was like, "just because you want something doesn't mean you're going to get it." So today she says: "The technicians approved it and they are going to replace the fuel system as WE requested..." We?

This morning I had emailed the Safety Defects Engineer from
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration/safecar.gov that contacted me originally for details about my first failure. I wanted to let him know of my second and third HPFP failure. I asked if he could do anything to help. Not sure if he did or not.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
:rolleyes: Michele my case manager for VofA calls me today and tells me they are replacing the fuel system...everything but the tank. They are going to clean that out.

I am so exhausted from worry, and from my experience with VofA and Michele. Now she's acting like she's been behind me 100%, on my side rooting for me the whole time. I kept asking for the fuel system to be replaced, for VofA to do the right thing, she was like, "just because you want something doesn't mean you're going to get it." So today she says: "The technicians approved it and they are going to replace the fuel system as WE requested..." We?

This morning I had emailed the Safety Defects Engineer from
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration/safecar.gov that contacted me originally for details about my first failure. I wanted to let him know of my second and third HPFP failure. I asked if he could do anything to help. Not sure if he did or not.
Do not lift your foot from their throat! Keep on them. I do agree with you that their idea of customer service is far from desirable. "Michelle" if that is her real name would not know a clue about an automotive concept if it bit her in the a$$, not what she was trained for by VW. Trained to say NO! And of course keep warantee expenses to a bare minimium.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Follow the money

chudzikb: > When I was dealing with "[probable CSR stage name]" on another issue, it worked out to "it is my way or the highway".

One wonders (rhetorically) if CSR compensation enhancements like bonuses and/or stock options are based on customer satisfaction metrics, or cost containment.

CSRs probably do get generous employee discounts on TDIs.
One wonders if they are bright enough to decline the honor.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why have they replaced almost every tank I have heard of in the past? I understand what you are saying but that hasn't been the norm so far.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Some time ago, they stopped replacing fuel tanks and started just cleaning them, likely because (as noted above), all fuel coming from the fuel tank into the rest of the system is filtered.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
........ she was like, "just because you want something doesn't mean you're going to get it." ..... I wanted to let him know of my second and third HPFP failure. I asked if he could do anything to help. Not sure if he did or not.
What an absolutely pathetic response from VW and why I would not buy the current engine design tdi, period! total bullsh*t ......

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
After three though you would really think they would go to great lengths to insure a complete and thorough job. Is the filter actually capable of catching all debris from a failure?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Between the sock on the inlet of the in-tank pump and the actual fuel filter, nothing appreciable is going to get through.

If this approach were not successful, VW would have had a rash of repeat failures when they started to clean rather than replace the fuel tanks.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I guess they would drop down the fuel tank to clean it out? Why not just replace it would save time and money. Now having some metal flakes in the tank after the clean out, does it still qualified to VW specifications?

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
The filter will catch anything going INTO the pump since it's first in line from the tank.. If the pump fails, metal gets sent everywhere since the return isn't filtered again until it gets sucked back through the filter..

I'm thinking it might be possible to add a high pressure fuel filter/screen between the HPFP and fuel rail, but I'm not sure where to source a filter that is suitable for that much pressure.. That would contain the failure to the pump only..

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
you guys might be surprised how much can get past a 2 micron filter.....we had some of our fleet trucks get containated tanks after somebody put fertilizer in the metal tanks it rusted the inside of the tanks and sent rust into the entire fuel system...I cleaned the entire fuel system, all rubber hoses and recoated the fuel tanks... I was amazed to see after cleaning the fuel system that 2 months later the filter AFTER our $600 2 micron racor filter we installed was completly clogged and contaminated....all the contaminates were coming from the metal pick-up tube in the tank that was not replaced...some were stuck in the recor filter but lots went right through and built up on the filter right before the injection pump......hopefully VW techs are cleaning the tanks well....your going to want a spotless fuel system to keep this junk CP4 happy.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
VW kicking YOUR can down the road

53 willys: > ..you're going to want a spotless fuel system to keep this junk CP4 happy.

If there's one thing a CP4 can't stand,
it's DLC dandruff from an earlier CP4 that has
had intimate relations with the same car.

It causes auto-immune disease.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The filter will catch anything going INTO the pump since it's first in line from the tank.. If the pump fails, metal gets sent everywhere since the return isn't filtered again until it gets sucked back through the filter..

I'm thinking it might be possible to add a high pressure fuel filter/screen between the HPFP and fuel rail, but I'm not sure where to source a filter that is suitable for that much pressure.. That would contain the failure to the pump only..
Right, so what I am saying is that it should not be necessary to replace the tank because it all gets filtered before going into the pump anyway.Only thing I would be worried about is anything post filter which probably can be cleaned.