IC holding oil

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
If I drive normally for quit a while and then go full throttle I get this hugh cloud of smoke which almost stalls the engine. After that it runs great. I should save this time for when there is a Prius behind me so I can oil his windshield. I think this is an accumulation in the intercooler. I don't have much oil consumption at the dipstick so it must unburned fuel.
Is this normal??

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Uh, that's not good...... if you get enough oil into the intake you can hydrolock one or more cylinders which will bend the rods (and potentially lift the head too!)

Bad juju -- if you're accumulating oil to that degree something is wrong and you need to find and fix it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If by drive normally you mean granny drive it, bad idea. It does sound like oil accumulation in your intercooler. As I am sure you have read in these forums a full throttle run on a regular basis will usually prevent excessive oil accumulation in the IC. If you don't have a practical section of highway to blow out the cobwebs, you may consider putting a drain screw in the IC to prevent future problems.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Why would you want to oil someone's windshield.

To reinforce the misconception that Diesels are dirty and their drivers are dicks?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Uh, that's not good...... if you get enough oil into the intake you can hydrolock one or more cylinders which will bend the rods (and potentially lift the head too!)

Bad juju -- if you're accumulating oil to that degree something is wrong and you need to find and fix it.
Or you could have a run away/uncontrollable RPM...also super bad juju

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
An M3x.5 button head works very well for this. Just pull the screw with a cup under it every now an' then. If you get more than a tbsp. or so, do it more often.

Douglas

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Sounds like your turbo seals are packing their bags for departure. Pull off the charge pipe from the compressor and check for shaftplay.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Define "drive normally for quite a bit". Because if you drive too easy for too long, this is the kind of thing that happens. Especially if there is some turbo shaft wear or lots of blow by.

If you drive it spirited more often, it likely won't ever have any build up in there at all. It'll be constantly pushed through.

But how much you have and how long it takes to get there as well as how you a re driving it up to that point can dictate how bad the issue is. You also have a lot of mods, which could change the definition of normalcy quite a bit.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Oil passage by turbo or coming from valve cover.

I would address that problem as soon as possible.

That cloud of smoke is white or black?

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
heavy smoke at full throttle

You would think there would be a noticable motor oil use, but I get 7 or 8K/quart. I have a 1/4 mile down hill leaving my house. Quite often I see a trail of smoke on this [cold engine] downhill. I do use 1/2 throttle quite often, so I guess a weekly run thru the gears is the answer. We'll see if that does it.
There is about 100K on the turbo and 80K on the engine.