Touareg Air Suspension?

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I've been online window shopping, drooling at 3.0 TDI powered suvs, and I can't seem to find an answer to my question. Did the later model touareg's (2011-2016?) ever come with air suspension? I know the v10 models did. And I know it is an option on the Q7. But i'm not sure if it was an option on the later model touareg's and how to tell if the suv has that option or not?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I've been online window shopping, drooling at 3.0 TDI powered suvs, and I can't seem to find an answer to my question. Did the later model touareg's (2011-2016?) ever come with air suspension? I know the v10 models did. And I know it is an option on the Q7. But i'm not sure if it was an option on the later model touareg's and how to tell if the suv has that option or not?

Not in North America, they did not.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just FYI, air suspension on everything is a pricey liability. They fail often. It is a nice feature (ride, handling, and being able to raise or lower the ride height as conditions warrant, trailer towing, etc.) but at some point and time you'll have to deal with air spring replacements. I do a lot of them, on all kinds of stuff.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Thanks for the replies. Looks like if I end up with a T-reg it won't have air suspension, which will be fine of course haha.

Oilhammer, that's what i was wondering also. I think I remember that the lincoln towncars back in the 90s had air springs/suspension and it was pretty common for them to go out.

It would be nice to have for towing, but really if you're staying within the limits of the T-reg and have your trailer set up right, there wouldn't be any problems.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There are aftermarket airbags available now, they don't cost a fortune.

A replacement piston ring for the suspension compressor costs under $50.

Keeping the air springs clean (no tears in the bellows, no dirt between the air spring and shock) goes a long way to making them last a long time. Also be sure to put some wax / coating on the pressure valves where the line connects to the air spring as corrosion there can cause failures.

The V1 V6 TDI Touareg had optional air suspension.

-J

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Darn! I currently have T1 4.2 with air. Air (and towing package) was on my MUSTH HAVE list, with air firming up the (quite soft steel) suspension, and is a GREAT for towing. Drove 2013 Cayenne Diesel, and loved it, just pricey. Figured I stay with VW and save, so started looking new Tregs with diesel, air and towing package. Did CANADA get them? I am aware of the complexity of the air suspension (had and still have 10+ Audi Allroad, so rebuilding compressors and swapping bags is not a scare, VAGcom a must).

Only way to get Diesel and air then is switching to Porsche (Cayenne)?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I have the 2010 V6 3.0Tdi Toareg with air suspension. It's awesome. Pack rats chewed through some wiring, which causes the pump to stay on continuously and burn out. Replacement with an upgraded pump and controller was $1200.