Another fuel pump failure thread

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
Yesterday, as we approached the freeway exit for my wife's work, the Glow Plug Lamp started flashing. Luckily, the exit is about a mile from her work so I pull into a parking slot and turned off the engine. I looked up the manual which said to take it to a dealer immediately so we called for a tow truck. I tried moving the car to give the tow better access to the car but the Check Engine Light came on solid and the engine shut down and I couldn't restart.

We took the car to a VW dealer and I got a call later on that it was the pump. I was given a laundry list of the parts to replace and, like other posts here, the cost of parts and labor is $$$$. I called VW and complained. The customer advocate appeared sympathetic and said that VW would like to help after putting me on hold for five minutes. He then said my issue will be escalated and I should get a call from the regional manager by Monday COB after he talks to the dealer.

I hope VW does "help" me. This is our first VW and we were happy with it. However, after a fuel injector failure a couple of months ago and now this, we are beginning to wonder.

bwhite757

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium, 2013 Jetta
How many miles do you have on your car? Do you use any type of additive? Where do you normally get your diesel from?

I can't believe I didn't read about this HPFP failures when I was doing my research on the Jetta prior to my purchases, and to be honest it has gotten me a little freaked out considering the amount of miles my wife and I put on our cars (I put ~50,000/year and my wife about ~40,000/year). We need them to last a long time to get our moneys worth out of them, we do have extended warranties to 100k, but I'll eat that up after year 2.

I hope VW gets you taken care of without to many hoops the jump through.

dborja

TDI
We have 77k miles after two years. We have a long highway commute where a diesel engine excels, mileage-wise. No additives and I typically use Shell.

Not sure what percentage TDIs experience this problem. Keep in mind that, typically, only those with issues and problems post in forums. Happy owners tend not to post...

Yes, I hope VW comes through

mechtonia

TDI
2011 Jetta
I just went through the same thing. HPFP failed and I freaked out when reading the forum while waiting on VW to give me an answer.

In my case VW covered it 100% no questions asked. The dealership also gave me a loaner car for the week and a half while the repair was being done. I submitted a NHTSA complaint but never mentioned that to VW.

VW responded by saying that they wouldn't do a buy back but they would discount a new car and do a trade, or cut me a check for two months payment. Again there were no questions asked or arm twisting. They seemed to have these options ready as a standard solution.

I asked the regional rep if anything was being done to permanently fix the problem in response to the NHTSA investigation. She was familiar with the NHTSA investigation and gave me a VERY canned response stating that (1)VW has no evidence that VW has done anything wrong and (2)she couldn't comment on any other developments in the NHTSA investigation.

Also, you might want to check out this page especially the "Document Search" link. There is a pdf linked which included emails back and forth between VW and Bosch and also a list of the customer care records of HPFP cases. Several include vehicle buy-back, etc.

After reading the forums extensively, my impression is that VW started out trying to contest many of the HPFP failures but is now in a "brand protection" or "litigation avoidance" mode. I really hope they come up with a retrofit or else warranty these pumps for life.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...r=EA11003&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

Last edited:

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
No additives and shell fuel. This is the second time I have read this combination on this site in connection with a HPFP failure. Also I disagree with only unhappy owners post here. I post good and bad and read the same from others too.

mechtonia

TDI
2011 Jetta
No additives and shell fuel. This is the second time I have read this combination on this site in connection with a HPFP failure. Also I disagree with only unhappy owners post here. I post good and bad and read the same from others too.

My HPFP failed and I used Shell about 70% of the time and never used additives.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
There are more failures of people using Shell than any other brand. That being said, there are more Shell stations than any other stations. It's a wash in my opinion.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Probably more Internet chat board people use top tier shell fuel..... As I understand the diesel fuel market is all the same in each region the difference is the additive blends that may or may not be used. Also any contamination that takes place in transport (not shell controlled) and any contamination from the storage tanks (also not shell controlled).

Lots of variables.

dborja

TDI
Thanks all for the helpful responses. Mechtonia, thanks for the link as well.

I heard from the dealer this afternoon. VW will pay for 100% of the parts and labor costs. It will not pay for my my rental car, however, but my dealer provided a loaner Passat SE so I won't have to continue accruing rental car expenses. I have not received a call from the VW regional manager as promised by the consumer advocate. Maybe tomorrow.

I am pleased with the dealer who has taken good care of me. However, my wife is now asking me: "What else could go wrong and can we continue trusting this car?". I like the performance and the fuel efficiency/cost but she raises good questions...

Last edited:

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
What else could go wrong is a failure of the new pump within days or 10 years - odds are you'll be ok. But we've seen worse case failures on the test drive. I wouldn't worry that much other than to start using fuel additive. Power service sold at local stores, Amsoil, or opti-lube.

dborja

TDI
Thanks, 03_01_TDI. it's just unnerving that between the flashing GPL and the engine quitting took only between 1 and 2 miles. We were "lucky" it didn't happen while we were on the freeway

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I dont understand why anyone continues to drive one of these cars without using an additive to increase the lubricity of the fuel. After all, we know the the diesel sold in the US has considerably less lubricity than in Europe, we know that the pumps in these cars are very sensitive to this, and that they are prone to failure if not properly lubricated.

Its a no brainer to me......increase the lubricity of your fuel or risk pump failure.

joeelmex

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium
You might consider doing reading on a additive. I been using xpd since the cars only had 1k miles.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
We should stop before this becomes yet another additive thread.

fede179070

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Volkswagen should probably not sell a car if it can't handle the fuel that is sold where it is meant to be driven

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Nice to hear that VW stepped up and took care of all repairs. I can't imagine why they would buy back the car unless required under "lemon law" requirements. And no proof that additives make any difference.

dborja

TDI
Perhaps it was my ignorance not knowing that I needed to use additives. I was not told when I took delivery of the car. I will plan on using additives going forward.

dborja

TDI
Nice to hear that VW stepped up and took care of all repairs. I can't imagine why they would buy back the car unless required under "lemon law" requirements. And no proof that additives make any difference.
Yes, it was nice that VW stepped up. I just received an email from the Regional Manager. I plan to respond to thank him and voice some concerns.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
We dont hear of many failures from owners that have religiously used a high quality lubricity additive like optilube. The numbers are all the proof I need.
I have to agree with you. I switched to XPD in feb from P/S and mileage went up each tank full for three tanks in a row. Yes milage up too and better lubercation benifits all good proof.

bwhite757

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium, 2013 Jetta
I have to agree with you. I switched to XPD in feb from P/S and mileage went up each tank full for three tanks in a row. Yes milage up too and better lubercation benifits all good proof.
Although I also don't want to turn this into an additive thread, a read through the: "Official HPFP Failure Thread" and you'll also come to the conclusion that most failures happen to people not using additives. I also started using XPD 3 tanks ago, and although I have not seen any MPG improvements, I can honestly say that my engine runs smoother than my wife's, until I started putting XPD in her tank. We both fillup at the same station by our house, but she can go 2.5 weeks on a tank where I fillup twice a week. However a side-by-side comparison was all I needed to notice the additive was actually doing something in the engine.

jtdi15

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta MK VI
Although I also don't want to turn this into an additive thread, a read through the: "Official HPFP Failure Thread" and you'll also come to the conclusion that most failures happen to people not using additives. I also started using XPD 3 tanks ago, and although I have not seen any MPG improvements, I can honestly say that my engine runs smoother than my wife's, until I started putting XPD in her tank. We both fillup at the same station by our house, but she can go 2.5 weeks on a tank where I fillup twice a week. However a side-by-side comparison was all I needed to notice the additive was actually doing something in the engine.
I don't use additives either but after reading this thread, I am starting to get concerned. I know I could search it, but do you put the xpd in every fill up? How much do you have to put in? I'm going to buy some on my next fill up. And I thought VW didn't recommend additives. I guess I'll have to start searching!

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I don't use additives either but after reading this thread, I am starting to get concerned. I know I could search it, but do you put the xpd in every fill up? How much do you have to put in? I'm going to buy some on my next fill up. And I thought VW didn't recommend additives. I guess I'll have to start searching!
I add it every time, 1/4 oz per gallon per optilube's recommendation printed on the jug. Since I normally take 12 gallons per fill up I add 3 oz of optilube. You cant normally buy it at retail location so I just buy a gallon at a time through the group buy available to tdi club members.

Rod

jtdi15

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta MK VI
I add it every time, 1/4 oz per gallon per optilube's recommendation printed on the jug. Since I normally take 12 gallons per fill up I add 3 oz of optilube. You cant normally buy it at retail location so I just buy a gallon at a time through the group buy available to tdi club members.
Rod
Thanks for the info!! Very much appreciated!

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI

Rod
Thanks for the info!! Very much appreciated!

Here is the group buy, there is not a discount on the item price just a flat rate on shipping. It is 4 or 5 per shipment.

http://dieselfuellube.com/tdi.html

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Winter has anti gel in it i think. Summer doesnt provide the same gains as XPD. I run XPD all year, but i dont live in a area that I would need the winter formula.

If its your first purchase get the kit so you have the small bottle and pump.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I also use XPD year around until this year. I've been fiddling with Summer and Summer +. Will prob just make my own concoctions out of the remaining bottles of Summer and Summer+ that I have.