Does the magnaflow 2.5" High Flow Diesel Catalytic Converter meet EPA Regs?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
If IDParts doesn't wanna take it back, let me know, I might be willing to take it off your hands.

IDParts site even says that it isnt carb legal in Kalifornia...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just added that statement this morning after Pierre brought this to my attention. I'll take it back, sure. It's good in the other 49 states.

The challenge for the OP is if not this, then what? Magnaflow shows no diesel CATs for CARB states. I'm at a loss of where else to look.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
tothemax said:
I will look at diesel trucks and see if I can find a 2.5" or 3" one with the correct stamped numbers on it.

P
You might peruse some of the truck forum sites and maybe post a WTB for someone's stock cat. Cat deletes are a really common aftermarket mod when installing turbo-back exhausts. One that comes to mind is the stock cat from the 6.0 Ford (most 7.3s had no cat factory). They are 3.5".

Also a stock Jeep liberty CRD cat might work for you, IIRC those were 2.5". Our liberty was totaled so there's at least one in the scrap yard.;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
tothemax said:
Tnx, I will look into this. I really do not understand this goofball law but the cat may have to specific to the car.

What BS we have to deal with.... these Magnaflow cats are legal all other 49 stated except frickin California... What a F_cked up state I live in........maybe not for long.........I am starting to have my limit with this state full of idiot frikin lawmakers. :mad:
I got the impression the CAT does have to be specific to the application. Maybe I'm wrong, however.

And your state is responsible for the CARB rules that drove diesels out of CA, MA, NY, and two other states in '04-06. We should be grateful that VW is willing to make a go of this at all.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
P, if it's installed, leave it on. The smog tech is NOT going to bother writing the CARB numbers down to cross reference them. All he's going to do is get down on one knee and see if there's a CAT installed. Yes, PASS. NO, FAIL. It's really that simple.

I'm so confident that the tech won't check the numbers that I'll give $50 if he fails you for that reason.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
P, I just took a close look at the factory VW cat off my 03 TDI (running a magnaflow). Can't find any numbers or identifying marks of any type on it. So, if they are disqualifying the magnaflow maybe its a rule of exclusion, because it is an obvious aftermarket item. I don't claim to know the rules though, just passing on info that may be useful.

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Got Bearings? said:
P, if it's installed, leave it on. The smog tech is NOT going to bother writing the CARB numbers down to cross reference them. All he's going to do is get down on one knee and see if there's a CAT installed. Yes, PASS. NO, FAIL. It's really that simple.

I'm so confident that the tech won't check the numbers that I'll give $50 if he fails you for that reason.
I have to agree here, as long as it is installed I don't think you will run into any problems with inspection.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Yeah, I'm in agreement with the above posters. I'll give you a shiny quarter if they fail you for a magnaflow cat. Maybe if Bluesmoker owned an emissions testing shop you'd fail, but shy of that I don't see it happening. If worse comes to worse, just get a stock VW cat, have some flanges welded into your exhaust and use a "test pipe" that you could swap with the VW cat LOL.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Please make every effort to communicate your feelings on these outlandish laws directly to your state legislators!

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Unfortunately you are probably on target with that analysis.

On the other hand, take wxman's excellent post 4 in his most recent thread in this section (one of many). Your input will provide some counterpoint to the mindless drones who think they are doing good by sending in the pre-executed comments sent to them by special interest groups who they support. I get this same crap all the time from the NRA but don't send it in. It obviously does something or they wouldn't send it out.

dparker

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 1M & twenty10 Cup Edition
I just got off the phone with Arnie. He is going to get right on this silly law.
;)

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
i have the stock cat off my dmax, but i don't think it would work as it isn't OEM for the TDI.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I'm attempting to register my TDI-swapped Jetta GLX in California and am having trouble due to the aftermarket cat installed on the car.

It either has to be OEM or the aftermarket cat must have stamped on it stating it meets CARB standards. I've been searching high and low for an aftermarket CARB-approved solution for diesels and so far there is none. It's either OEM or GTFO.

I'll take that $50 and shiny quarter :D

To be fair, I'm having to deal with a BAR Referee, not just any ol smog shop.

Apparently my car was titled in California (as a gas car) long before I purchased it in Michigan and completed my conversion. And that's why I'm having so much trouble...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What a nuisance. Things are tighter here, too, but not that bad. I had a customer call me Monday who had a Passat in CA and the same problem. Unfortunately the dealer is his (and your) best option, AFAIK. I've yet to find an aftermarket CAT maker that is CARB certified.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Yeah, I'm in agreement with the above posters. I'll give you a shiny quarter if they fail you for a magnaflow cat. Maybe if Bluesmoker owned an emissions testing shop you'd fail, but shy of that I don't see it happening. If worse comes to worse, just get a stock VW cat, have some flanges welded into your exhaust and use a "test pipe" that you could swap with the VW cat LOL.
lol thanks for mentioning me,I guess any press (negative or positive) is helpful

actually I would pass this car with no problem, a new Magna cat is light years ahead of a 10 year old junk yard sourced oem part

forcing drivers to purchase oem parts is overkill

the law should target the flat earth guys

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Any one want a genuine CAT out of my 2002? :) I will cut off as much pipe on either side as you want. Oh it does have 194000 miles on it. Of course you will only pay shipping.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Hmm...my cat mysteriously fell off the car a little while back. Its laying in the corner of the shop if anyone wants to adopt it. Free to a good home. :cool:

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Here's a question: does this 2.5" Magnaflow cat fit a 2000 New Beetle TDI auto? I was thinking of replacing the stock cat in my wife's beetle but don't know what size. Idparts also has a 2" cat.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
NY may actually be an issue by now for inspections - this is from 2009

When I had my 2002 go through it's last inspection before it met it's untimely death, it failed the exam because they actually did check what was coming out of the exhaust and compared it against what it thought it should be.

What caused it to fail was that they scan in the car's VIN # and the device runs the test based on what is in the DMV system for that car. Ok, here's the issue - the car was improperly tagged as a gas car back in 2002 when I bought it because the law was about to change and the dealer didn't want to lose the sale. I literally bought the last diesel in Rochester NY in July of 2002, a week later they were ILLEGAL (see my massive post on this in my sig ). So they measured my exhaust against the standards for a gas car, and of course it failed.

I finally got our idiot DMV to fix the issue after threatening to drive the car through the wall ( if necessary ) to point out that the car was a diesel and had been since day one. What did the trick was the owner's manual which I kept in the car religiously ( we quote thee oh holy book ). I still have the book in great condition by the way and I have no plans on parting with it as it is a reminder of what a great car it was.

The point was that NY had finally caught up to the computer age and was testing cars based on what was in their computer. Once the registration was corrected, the car passed inspection. Once nice thing - they did give me a temp one to give to the cops in case I got pulled over with a letter explaining the issue and that it was good for 30 days. One thing they screwed up though that I never got fixed - they claimed I had a lien on the car and I didn't, NY had faulty information and wouldn't fix it without a letter from VW Credit on their letterhead. I never got that from them other than a poor copy that wasn't on letterhead. The insurance company though had already properly taken care of it before the crash and thus that wasn't an issue when they made the payout.

I can't speak to what they are doing now for the TDI's, all I will tell you is that they are somewhat computerized - so if your car was either mistakenly registered or is a conversion - you will have an issue.

By the way, the CARB states were California, New York, Massachussets, Maine, and Vermont. May they all rot in hell for what they did.

lghf

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta GL
brucetmoose you do not need to get TDIs emission inspected in NY, only a safety inspection, and make sure you let the technician know that before they hook it up to the computer and charge you $11 unnecessarily.

When I bought mine last November, the title had gasoline as the fuel type. I got problem resolved by making sure it was changed on the registration, when I registered it.

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Wasn't sure if anyone has found this link, so here it is. Here's the link to the quick reference guide applicable to our aftermarket parts!
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/Diesel%20Parts%20Article%20version%2012_24_2009_gc.pdf

I just heard about this last night!

It's my understanding that they're gonna start in CA and NY, and trickle their way inward.

For the ECU part, they reset the ecu and if an emission related code comes back "ready" right away, they'll know it was from a tuner and there will be a fine.

It's my understanding a tuner has already been hit with a hefty fine.

If this is the case it looks like i will be registering at my dad's property in a non e-check county.

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
That'll teach you for leaving the great state of MI. :D and shouldn't Pierre be coming back to Vive le Quebec Libre!

I'm attempting to register my TDI-swapped Jetta GLX in California and am having trouble due to the aftermarket cat installed on the car.

It either has to be OEM or the aftermarket cat must have stamped on it stating it meets CARB standards. I've been searching high and low for an aftermarket CARB-approved solution for diesels and so far there is none. It's either OEM or GTFO.

I'll take that $50 and shiny quarter :D

To be fair, I'm having to deal with a BAR Referee, not just any ol smog shop.

Apparently my car was titled in California (as a gas car) long before I purchased it in Michigan and completed my conversion. And that's why I'm having so much trouble...

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
if have a super low mile rust free DP really to go OEM

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Just an F.Y.I. concerning CARB Aftermarket Catalytic Convert. I found this http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf. It covers other manufactures besides Magnaflow. I didn't see any aftermarket CC's for VW TDI's.
I found that myself. There isn't a single DIESEL cat on the list. Everything is for a gas car.

And for the record, Magnaflow DOES make CARB-approved cats as well--all for gassers.

Believe me, I've looked hard for a CARB-approved diesel on-road solution for our cars--they simply don't exist right now.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I just heard about this last night!

It's my understanding that they're gonna start in CA and NY, and trickle their way inward.

For the ECU part, they reset the ecu and if an emission related code comes back "ready" right away, they'll know it was from a tuner and there will be a fine.

It's my understanding a tuner has already been hit with a hefty fine.

If this is the case it looks like i will be registering at my dad's property in a non e-check county.
why would they fine the tuner? They are providing a service! You have any more info on this?

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
So CARB is basically condoning using 10 year old worn out catalysts in favor of new aftermarket ones? Or, conversely, they force owners to repair broken catalytic converters with overpriced and highly expensive OEM ones? Try finding a cat for my 1996 B4 Passat TDI with the 5th injector...or, pricing an OEM converter from a trusted online source for a 2000 NB TDI turned up one for $685.

Given that scenario I would just choose a catectomy on the old cat and still passing emissions testing, which is not the best for the environment. It's skewed against diesel and it is wrong.

I found that myself. There isn't a single DIESEL cat on the list. Everything is for a gas car.

And for the record, Magnaflow DOES make CARB-approved cats as well--all for gassers.

Believe me, I've looked hard for a CARB-approved diesel on-road solution for our cars--they simply don't exist right now.