coolant turned brown....oil level low....dealer says tranny cooler bad?????***.

bctdi

TDI
2005 jetta gls tdi
I started the car (for 1st time that day)...pulled out of drive and coolant light beeped on.Coolant brown...had car towed to dealer(still under powertrain warranty)Dealer replaced oil cooler.I checked oil and coolant the next morning with a cold engine...Coolant was pink and oil was in the mid xhatched area.Drove car that week for about 500 miles.Checked oil and now oil is below the lower bend on stick and coolant is dark brown and level increased in tank by 1.5 inches.Had car towed back to dealer.They are troubleshooting and called to say they think the tranny cooler might be bad.I asked about the low oil level and the coolant level increase by the same amount and the svc advisor said he made a note the the mechanic.So .......I`m wondering how this scenario could possibly make sense.Is it possible that a bad oil cooler installation could cause oil to go into the coolant and the dealer is covering for it by saying the tranny cooler is bad?I`m still waiting to hear back from them on the final diagnosis.They said the tranny was slamshifting for them, but I haven`t noticed that before.What do you guys think?....Its an 05 tdi pd bew w/ auto xmission w/ 55k on the odometer.Am I about to be screwed???:confused:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
If you're still under powertrain warranty, how can you be screwed? Is it possible to get it to another dealership for a second opinion?

bctdi

TDI
2005 jetta gls tdi
Powertrain warranty only covers certain items in the engine and transmission.I didn`t realize this until now, but some things are in the grey area.So depending on what is the root cause of the problem , or what they say is the root cause, then I may have to fight for warranty coverage....or it`s possible they could not fix the problem and cause other issues with the engine, in which case I`d be screwed.:rolleyes:

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Sounds like the classic blown head gasket to me... Something tells me that is still under the powertrain warranty. but VW will try to say it was because you improperly replaced your rear tail light bulb.. so be careful what you say. ;)

Last edited: