RWD transmission for VW 4-cylinder?

mjo79

TDI
none
I have a blast doing all the fun math too.

I would like for now to build a streetable jeep running a tdi, and possibly someday build a competition rockcrawler and enter a few races (tdi represent!). I think it's probably the ultimate powerplant for such a vehicle, with the emphasis being light weight-high output. Sure, most guys still throw an LS1 or similar insane power V8 in a tube frame and build the rest to handle the power, but a couple guys now run rigs with vw air-cooled motors adapted to powerglide 2-speed trannys and set up in the rear of the vehicle for weight transfer/visiblity when climbing. Another shop built a rig around a saturn 4cyl/transaxle they had lying around. I think the huge torque output at low RPM's a lightly modded tdi provides could prove unstoppable with a well built suspension and a good driver (me?!).

On a side note, I was figuring out axle ratios (for the street jeep idea) today and if I went with a 4.88 (what I want anyway) it puts rpms nearly identical to what they are in my jetta. Yeah, the aerodynamics might kill the mileage some, but I don't think 35mpg is completely out of the question. Heck, I got 18mpg once driving gently on a road trip in my 304-V8 non-OD auto 33" tired CJ7 once! I thought that was pretty damn good, as I normally get 12-13 heavy-footing it.

MattJ

mjo79

TDI
none
That's some awesome info, thanks a lot! I'm glad somebody actually adapts the tdi to something.

MattJ