Turbo housing swap

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
I've got a BHW 2.0 from a B5.5 Passat and the stock turbo mounted in my Eurovan. I had to swap for an AHU/1z exhaust manifold to tuck the turbo closer to the block to fit with the firewall. I'm going to be redoing the mounts and orientation this winter, but I'm wondering if there is another turbo that I could use in its place for similar performance, but without having to fab up a plate between the manifold/turbo and the oil return line. I also like the VNT 17/22 hose fittings that have both the turbo input from the airbox and output to the intercooler facing the passenger side. Is there a cold side housing I can swap onto my turbo that will reorient the compressor output to the passenger side?

Basically, I have this:

You can see the BHW/Passat turbo sticks out quite a bit at an angle from the block as in the Passat it's oriented longituidinally and the air conditioner compressor is underneath it. Mounting it to the AHU/1z manifold tucks it up closer to the block like the one below, but I still have to use a few elbows to get it out and around from the back of the block since it is now transverse in the van. I also had to fab up an oil drain return line and I'm not quite happy with it. A stock BEW/ALH one won't fit because it sits too low due to the 1/4" plate I had to use between the manifold and the turbo to get it to sit in the right orientation on the block.

And I'm wanting to find something like this that fits with the 140hp 2.0 BHW TDI motor/ECU. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you can cut the housing and weld elbows to it, no need to go out and buy a brand new one when a shop could probably weld it up for like $30 if you showed up with the bits all cut and prepped

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You ca-n Swap the exhaust housings or weld The outlet as 486 said in the lost above. I have done a vw golf mk4 last week with a Passat 1.9 tdi manifold and opel Vectra gt18 turbo and used the stock kp39 outlet welded to the new turbo. The Passat manifold puts the turbo close enough to the block however turbo it’s a bit twisted around it’s axis and the exhaust flange needs rotating a little to fit. The oil drain was one from dark side for their gtb range swaps and all it’s a clean instal. I don’t know what site to host pictures as I would upload a few pictures showing the instal. Quite nice upgrade with very good low down spool on a pd100 AXR engine.