www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 21st, 2018, 13:54   #16
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohls View Post
You guys are great; thank you!

Yes, definitely going to go through the injectors and clean them...see how bad they are. Chances are I'll replace them soon, BUT I'd like to see if this car is going to run at all before I put more and more $$ into 'er.

I was thinking something along the lines of ultrasonic bath with some warmed-up rust remover as solvent...? Then test them..I'm pretty sure my Grandpa has a injector tester.

Thanks
Do a compression test first then and check the condition of the rings, head, and block. That will tell you more about if it will run quicker than anything!
You're looking for 500psi compression. Drop a table spoon of engine oil in the cylinder and hook up your compression tester. If it hits 500 psi or close it'll run no problem once all the other kinks in the fuel are worked out. Otherwise you're looking at engine work.
Go with the injectors you want, there's no reason that if tuned properly that .205 injectors and an 11mm pump won't pass inspections so long as it's running well and warmed up when you go in for the test.

I wouldn't jump into much more than cleaning the injector bodies. the nozzles need to be cleaned with sonic cleaning and if you try to use tools you will destroy their ability to perform and likely cause catastrophic damage to the engine! Which I see you have done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohls View Post
Injectors are all cleaned up with the ultrasonic cleaner: look great. I even bench tested them with a proper injector tester.

Thanks for the help.
It's highly recommended to have your injectors professionally cleaned and setup so that they flow properly and within certain parameters so they don't cause holes in the block or piston heads.
At minimum you should perform a pop test to ensure that the initial injection occurs at the correct pressure. If this is not done you truly risk the loss of your engine and a fun project might just be lost.
If you want to have this project for a while take the time to search around and look at all the how to's available in the tdi 101 section and the search engine which is a tremendous resource that utilizes all the best VW specific forums for the answer to your question.
Do not go cheap unless you want it to fail and cost more in the end! Buy quality and respected reputable brands at good prices anywhere, but especially check out the vendor section for deals from the forums trusted vendors.

How to make terminal release tools for VW and Audi - YouTube

Last edited by eddieleephd; October 21st, 2018 at 13:58.
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 17:12   #17
jmodge
Veteran Member

Why do you recommend a wet compression test?
Old Today, 07:19   #18
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
Why do you recommend a wet compression test?
If it's been a while since it's run there's no lubricant on the cylinder wall. This causes the compression test to be off and not true.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

How to make terminal release tools for VW and Audi - YouTube

Last edited by eddieleephd; Today at 07:21.
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23   #19
jmodge
Veteran Member

Gotcha, probably wouldn't hurt to roll it over several times to disperse it and blow out the extra then?