www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 9th, 2018, 19:34   #1
Stuffing

Default Timing Belt Observations: paranoia, or cause for concern?

Hi again TDI club,
I've got about 1000 miles on my new (to me) ALH engine and although it's running very well I'm still not 100% confident in my timing belt job. I used the complete timing belt kit from idParts, and I followed directions absolutely to the letter along with a rented timing belt tool-kit from AArodriguez. I may be stressing over nothing, but I thought I would run this by you guys and see what you think.
A couple weeks ago I decided to take a look at the timing belt tensioner to make sure nothing suspicious was going on. I noticed that the tension tab has a bit of movement. I've got a video of it here (just a warning, it's a bit loud). I tried tightening the tensioner's nut, but it's already quite tight.

Today, I checked it again to see if it had any more movement to it. It's moving the same amount as far as I can tell.

I also noticed some 'sway' in the belt's travel. It moves just a tiny little bit back and forth on the pulleys. It looks sort of like the belt (Dayco) is slightly skinnier than the guides on the tensioner pulley, allowing it to move back and forth a bit. Video here (also loud).

I want this engine to last a good long time, and I really don't want to pull my car apart again... If I have to, I am willing to take the car in and have the timing belt re-done professionally.
Stuffing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 19:45   #2
03TDICommuter
Veteran Member

Don't worry about it. If absolutely everything was concentric/had no runout, the tension at every location a pulley turns would be the same. With manufacturing tolerances that isn't true so you see what you see.
Old October 11th, 2018, 19:47   #3
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Stuffing, what you are seeing (and hearing) is normal. The spring inside the Tensioner is doing what it is supposed to do.

Put the cover on, drive and worry less!
Old October 11th, 2018, 22:52   #4
alex_tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffing View Post
I used the complete timing belt kit from idParts, and I followed directions absolutely to the letter along with a rented timing belt tool-kit from AArodriguez.

I plan to do the same as you. How much did it cost to rent from AArodriguez? and the deposit?

I emailed them but never heard back.
alex_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:46   #5
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_tdi View Post
I plan to do the same as you. How much did it cost to rent from AArodriguez? and the deposit?

The last time (of many satisfied purchases) I bought my TB kit from metalman parts I rented the tool kit. All the tools were brand new, most still in shrink wrap, and came from the one vender. Nice and convienent. Excellent service and quality as always.
https://www.metalmanparts.com/main.s...3plqscsfapp005
I didn't see the ALH tool kit listed in the Tool Rental section but if you choose a TB kit the tool rental option is at the bottom of the page.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 12:52   #6
leafs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): alh

I managed to pull it off without any special tools but wouldn't really recommend it lol.
leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 14:57   #7
Stuffing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_tdi View Post

Here's what I used: http://www.tunemyeuro.com/alh-timing-belt-tool-rental/
Just order it like it's any other part and when you send it back they'll refund 240 of the 280. Keep in mind, depending on how you ship it back you might need to spend another 10-20 bucks or so to ship it back to them. It needs to get back to them 2 weeks after it arrives at your door, but they still gave me back the full deposit despite being late (sorry! ).

Also, thanks for the votes of confidence! Might seem silly but it does reduce my stress levels a bit to hear support. I'll be getting my tune pretty soon here too to use my DLC1019s and VNT17.
Stuffing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2018, 11:31   #8
alex_tdi
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffing View Post
Here's what I used: http://www.tunemyeuro.com/alh-timing-belt-tool-rental/
Just order it like it's any other part and when you send it back they'll refund 240 of the 280. Keep in mind, depending on how you ship it back you might need to spend another 10-20 bucks or so to ship it back to them. It needs to get back to them 2 weeks after it arrives at your door, but they still gave me back the full deposit despite being late (sorry! ).

Awesome!

Last edited by alex_tdi; October 13th, 2018 at 11:35.
alex_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote