Help needed for coolant leak, near Frost heater

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Replace all the clamps. My frostheater came with little skinny clamps and had to be re-tightened constantly, replacing fixed this little PIA. I never saw it actively leaking, but I saw the pink trail that ended up on the inside of the skid plate.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
If the kit comes with those garden variety slotted hose clamps ditch them.

Replace them with OE/OEM style worm gear drive hose clamps. This type of clamp doesn't cut into the hose, but the teeth dig into the hose as well the band has angled shoulder. Or use spring type hose clamp, but you have to remove the hose for installation. Easier to use the hose clamps.
I would say you need to go the next size, 16-25 mm

Last edited:

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
I had a similar problem with my frostheater. All I had to do was tighten up the hose clamps (both of them) and all was good. This was stated in the instructions which came with the frostheater (do this yearly).

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
This is why I prefer the constant tension clamps over worm screw clamps. If you must use worm screw clamps on coolant lines, apply a drop of blue threadlocker to the screw. This will help it to resist being forced loose by expansion of the connection.

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
MOGolf said:
If you must use worm screw clamps on coolant lines, apply a drop of blue threadlocker to the screw. This will help it to resist being forced loose by expansion of the connection.
Good tip! I need to find that blue threadlocker tube I bought when I installed the frostheater (to secure that pesky and almost impossible-to-put on wing nut)

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I'm having the same problem. I have replaced all the clamps with bigger and better, stainless-steel worm-drive clamps. They only leak overnight, too, when the car cools down. Getting really tired of getting under the car and tightening the clamps. Anybody have a source for spring-type clamps?

GrampaPete said:
Have taken in twice to a local shop who can't find the problem, although they feel it is in the Frost heater setup. Apparently it doesn't leak when warm, only overnight as the engine cools. Any suggestions?

Pete

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
www.mcmaster.com or order from various VW part suppliers snd other finr hardware places.