Pulling a trailer

shrimp1929

TDI
06 Jetta
I recently purchased an 06 Jetta TDI and I would like to hear from anyone who has pulled a small enclosed trailer with a similiar model. I have used a Ford Powerstroke in the past to pull an 8'x8'x16 and it is just too expensive to pull at 8 to 10 MPG. My son has a friend who builds small and motorcycle trailers who could build me one that would probably pull pretty easy.

I am looking for info on what it does to the MPG and to find out if it would hurt the transmission or the engine.

Thanks,

Shrimp1929

petertf

TDI
Passat Sport 1.9
I wouldn't have thought it would hurt the engine or the transmission at all. Of course, if you are pulling extra weight then the mpg will be lower but hey that's is what you get for pulling something whether it be a trailer or caravan or whatever!

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am pulling an open 10x4 trailer with my NB, hauling all sorts of stuff for the house (gravel, wood...). Easy.

In Europe, the New Jetta TDI with the 100hp engine and DSG has a max trailer weight rating of 1700 kg on 8% grades and 1400 kg on 12% grades. These trailers have coaster brakes (overrun brakes). W/O brakes, the Jetta is rated for 720kg.
This provides some guidance.

If you intend to haul heavy loads over long distances and/or mountainous terrain, I would think that an EGR gauge and oil temp gauge are a good investment.

MPG will be down; how much will depend a lot on travelling speed with a high, enclosed trailer. If your trailer is much higher than the car roof, consider mounting an airfoil (air deflector) on your roof that deflects the air upwards, over the trailer. Otherwise you would be pulling against the wind resistance of the vertical "barn door" front end of the trailer throughout the journey.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/tf-Browse/s-10101/N-111+10201+600001569/c-10101

Last edited:

shrimp1929

TDI
06 Jetta
Thanks guys, I intend to haul duck and goose decoys and layout blinds, as well as hunting clothing and stuff. The trip will be about 6,000 to 7,000 miles round trip from Memphis, TN to Manitoba, Saskatchewan and the Northern Prairie states. If I could get about 30 MPG overall, it would be a big help. We have been get less than 10 MPG the last few years. I have heard diesel is over $5.00 per gallon in Canada.
I am hoping to have a trailer that is just slightly taller (6") than the Jetta. It should weigh no more than 1,000lbs when loaded.

Shrimp1929

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
shrimp1929 said:
Thanks guys, I intend to haul duck and goose decoys and layout blinds, as well as hunting clothing and stuff. The trip will be about 6,000 to 7,000 miles round trip from Memphis, TN to Manitoba, Saskatchewan and the Northern Prairie states. If I could get about 30 MPG overall, it would be a big help. We have been get less than 10 MPG the last few years. I have heard diesel is over $5.00 per gallon in Canada.
I am hoping to have a trailer that is just slightly taller (6") than the Jetta. It should weigh no more than 1,000lbs when loaded.

Shrimp1929
if this is a one time trip I'd rent a truck/van and be done with it.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
$5/gallon? I think not! I pay just under $1/L which would be ~$3.25US/gal??

I have pulled a 3000lb trailer in my golf with the tiptronic and still returned 30+mpg through the mountains. The a5 jetta is heavier but the DSG should just about cancel that out. I had no problems keeping speed on hills, but sometimes that 'no problem' included shifting it right down to 3rd, which is unpleasant at 100km/h+ up a LONG hill.... :D

If you keep your trailer weight in the ~2000lb range you will hardly notice it's back there except for the rattling on the hitch and the increased braking distance. These cars really are amazing.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I second the EGT gage as I have pulled a 4X8 Uhaul trailer twice with my car and the only time it strained was going over the the modest mountains in TN. You always want to keep the rpm above 2000 to stay in the good torque range for you engine. Going up the long grade, 6% grade, the car was in 4th gear holding 60 mph, with boost steady at 16 psia. Mileage pulling the trailer about 35mpg, without trailer 45+mpg.

Of course then my car is chipped with larger injectors and performance clutch. :)

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Mine's not an 06, but I can pull another Jetta without much of any issues.... This one I towed 110 miles home and averaged 37mpg for the whole trip, 110 miles with just the 800lb dolly behind me on the way down there, 110 miles loaded and going 75-80mph on the way back... I'm not sure what % grade it is, but I can climb the hill on Rt84 going out of Port Jervis at 70mph with a 98 Jetta on the dolly... You'll be able to pull 1000lbs like it's not even there..

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
35+ Mpg

With my '00 5ps man Jetta I towed a 750lb trailer (4x8) for about 300 miles and still got above 30MPG.

I do recommend keeping the weight down - aluminum wheels with 14" trailer rated tires and as much aluminum as practical on the structure of the trailer might be things to consider.

Walt