Low oil pressure, ok after restart.

pdtdiarl

TDI
golf4
So I'm dealing with a low oil pressure symptom.

And I'm posting here to get some tips and maybe help others.

It's an Audi A4.

Start the engine, drive it maybe 10 mins after its gets to service temperature, low oil pressure light comes on.

I know that VWs dash only warns you about low oil pressure after 60°C I think so I plugged a gauge, and pressure is 4/3 bars, 2 bars at 90°C.

Changed Oil pressure Sender, still the same.

I plugged a oil pressure gauge inside the car to drive it and check the oil pressure. And after some drive, some minutes at service temperature, it begins to drop pressure.

The strange thing is, if I restart the engine, right after I turn it off, oil pressure comes back at 2/3 bars, and starts to drop slowly.

Pulled the sump, and some here will know how hard is to pull the sump on a B5. And pickup line had a lot of dirt. When hitting the pickup against the bench, lots of small particles dropping of the pickup screen.

Oil dipstick was broken, and PO used a lot of rtv on the sump seal. didn't find metal there, just dirt. So maybe the problem is solved, but ...

2 questions:

Could this be the cause?

I'm changing also the o-ring between the oil pump and pickup, because PO used RTV :mad:. Should I check anything else before I install everything?

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Does it have a balance shaft? Any chance of the hex key slipping?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
If im in that far im putting in a new oil pump before reassembly.

pdtdiarl

TDI
golf4
Don't wanna throw parts at it, installed everything last night, reached 90°C, service temperature, with 3.2/3.0 bar at idle, i think it's not that bad, didn't have the time to run it because the front bumper was off, maybe friday I'll give it some WOT.

pdtdiarl

TDI
golf4
Just to close the chapter, it ended up being the clogged pick up, all ok at the moment, getting 18-23psi at idle, completely warm.