considering an upgrade

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Seems to be a fair amount of 2015 wagons on dealer lots right now, wife wants to upgrade her 05 Wagon, we considered an Alltrack, but have grown fond of the diesel fuel mileage and pull. Plus she's a MT girl and can drive in the snow, she grew up with a Celica.

Anyone mind leaving some tips on a test drive and option packages, She wants an Auto transmission, and heated seats, the rest the options are fluff, would be nice to avoid silly sunroof.

Do these cars require the DEF?

Can you get a aluminum skidplate?

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Seems to be a fair amount of 2015 wagons on dealer lots right now, wife wants to upgrade her 05 Wagon, we considered an Alltrack, but have grown fond of the diesel fuel mileage and pull. Plus she's a MT girl and can drive in the snow, she grew up with a Celica.

Anyone mind leaving some tips on a test drive and option packages, She wants an Auto transmission, and heated seats, the rest the options are fluff, would be nice to avoid silly sunroof.

Do these cars require the DEF?

Can you get a aluminum skidplate?
Mk4 to mk7 is a huge jump. Improved in just about every way and I think you will be happy for a long time. Heated seats is SE trim or SEL and will cost extra. Might as well get the lighting package if you are going SE. Skip navigation and moonroof.

Yes it requires DEF. It's cheap and not that big of a deal once you get used to it. I'd rather have a DEF TDI than a non DEF TDI. DEF has better mileage than a nonDEF TDI , especially after the emissions fix.

You can get a metal skidplate

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Have her drive the DSG. It is not an automatic and not everyone can live with it. Be sure she likes it first.
The jump is huge, the interior of the car is so quiet. The tech is so much more to date.

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
We ended up with an alltrack. Couldn't get past paying the same price for a used car with a diesel and a big dumb sunroof vs buying a new car. I know we don't need it but I also feel the AWD will be nice for the 3 or 4 times a year we may need it. Now we have to sell her old MKIV. BEW. They offered 700 for a trade��

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
It was a tough decision for me too and when I purchased my certified 2015 TDI it was about $5k less than the new Sportwagen. Now in MN the new 2017 S Sportwagens with manual transmissions are under $20k.
Either one is a great buy if you ask me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Enjoy the closest thing we get to the Golf R Variant we will ever get!

What kind of deal did you get on the Alltrack, I've heard rumors of deals $4-5K under MSRP.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Our predominant highway miles and the emissions warranty is what made me go for the (new) TDI. That and the fact it was a few grand cheaper than a '17.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
I got an alltrack loaner when I was getting some minor scuffs buffed out of my new TDI, the alltrack is an awesome car and was a lot of fun, you will be happy with it I am sure.

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
I just went through the same thing the last few months debating. ended up finding what I think was a great deal on a 2015 TDI SEL sportwagen with 23k miles, CPO warranty, for 21k. I love the diesel mpg and the DSG is actually very responsive, especially in Sport mode. Although I still enjoy driving my 04 Golf TDI manual, its a night and day difference.

Now if we could get a Alltrack TDI in the states........