www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 5th, 2017, 07:11   #1
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Default Lock for OBDII port

I had intended to post in this forum last night, but apparently I made an error. I hope the admins will forgive me and delete my post in the MKVII forum if that's what needs to be.

Because I have a Ram diesel pickup (they come stock with no fuel caps), I picked up a locking fuel cap from a little company called BEM Auto. I found out that they're coming out with an OBDII port lock and thought that this would be awesome for when I took my car into service on my extended warranty. I am not choosing the "fix" and want to be able to have the option of the buyback to the latest possible minute.

I thought there might be other Gen 3. folks or anyone with an OBDII port affected by dieselgate waiting to the last possible minute for the buyback. Here's some pictures of the unit I've been testing out:

It's supposed to be anodized in black and then laser etched with a logo when they're all done.

I'll try to get a photo of it in my car this morning yet.

2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed manual
2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 6.7L Cummins, 6-speed manual
Miss_Athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 07:24   #2
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Ok, I went out and got some pics of the testing unit I have on my vehicle.

First view is from the front:

Second view looking up from the bottom:

Third view from underneath and off to the side a bit:

Last edited by Miss_Athanatos; October 5th, 2017 at 07:26. Reason: wrong picture
Old October 5th, 2017, 07:53   #3
CleanDieselTD$

TDI(s): Golf

Interesting gadget. My though, though, is that most dealers would simply refuse to service your car since virtually all vehicle diagnostics begin from the OBDII port
CleanDieselTD$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 08:13   #4
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanDieselTD$ View Post
Interesting gadget. My though, though, is that most dealers would simply refuse to service your car since virtually all vehicle diagnostics begin from the OBDII port
I hear what you're saying. I won't refuse to take it off for dealer service. I just want to be asked specifically to take it off and be told for what purpose, rather than have them plug in and load software updates without telling me beforehand.

I know BEM Auto are making one of these specifically for the Ram trucks. One guy told me that there are enough people who have tunes on their trucks under warranty to be concerned taking the trucks in for dealer service. I'm not in that boat, but I get it. These folks don't want to pick up a truck stuck in limp mode.

Old October 5th, 2017, 09:01   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You fail to realize that A LOT of things on modern cars require access to the DLC, not just software updates. PM reminder resets, all kinds of learning and adaptations after certain services, inspections, all kinds of things.
Old October 5th, 2017, 10:53   #6
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
You fail to realize that A LOT of things on modern cars require access to the DLC, not just software updates. PM reminder resets, all kinds of learning and adaptations after certain services, inspections, all kinds of things.
Thank you for the response. You make a lot of good and valid points.

I have no problem with taking the lock off once the service requirements are explained per visit. It's an informed consent thing.

Old October 5th, 2017, 11:00   #7
oilhammer

Nothing wrong with being informed. I just see something like that as being a nuisance if it it came into our shop. Even if there was no obvious need on the front end to access the DLC, something may come up while the vehicle is there that would require it. Something totally non-issue, and it could become an issue if we had to wait for you to bring the key.

For instance: another tech here put rear springs in a Silverado. When he took the old ones off, he knew he would be dropping the axle down a bit. To prevent any damage, he unplugged the rear axle speed sensor from its connector atop the diff housing. He put the new springs in, bolted the shocks on, etc., put the wheels back on, set the truck on the ground. Went to back it out of the shop, saw the ABS light was on. He immediately realized he forgot to plug that speed sensor in. Slid under the back, plugged it back in, grabbed the scan tool and via the DLC a few mouse clicks and cleared the DTC set.

Back the truck out, test drove, done. Simple mistake, no harm done. Had there been a lock on the DLC, he would not have been able to remedy this without a phone call, an extra trip, etc.
Old October 5th, 2017, 12:54   #8
duratitus
Veteran Member

It seems pointless to me, and I fail to see what this has to do with dieselgate.

If you take your car in for the modification, you already know they will have to access the OBD 2 port, so why would you try to cover it ......???
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 14:30   #9
demagxc

The only thing it has to do with dieselgate is the the OP doesn't want the fix done and is afraid that the dealership is going to reflash the car without consent. Still seams pointless as I cant foresee an instance where the dealer would do this considering there is considerable documentation pre and post fix. Not to mention the dealer has no incentive to secretly fix anyone's car without their knowledge...
demagxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 05:01   #10
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demagxc View Post
The only thing it has to do with dieselgate is the the OP doesn't want the fix done and is afraid that the dealership is going to reflash the car without consent. Still seams pointless as I cant foresee an instance where the dealer would do this considering there is considerable documentation pre and post fix. Not to mention the dealer has no incentive to secretly fix anyone's car without their knowledge...
Heh, you've never worked at a dealer, have you? They ABSOLUTELY have an incentive to do any and all service campaigns. They get PAID to do them. And quite often, the owner will have no prior knowledge of anything ahead of time.

In the case of the emissions "fix", it is of course a little more complicated, and it is more than just software anyway.
Old October 6th, 2017, 05:56   #11
demagxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Heh, you've never worked at a dealer, have you? They ABSOLUTELY have an incentive to do any and all service campaigns. They get PAID to do them. And quite often, the owner will have no prior knowledge of anything ahead of time.
In the case of the emissions "fix", it is of course a little more complicated, and it is more than just software anyway.
I did actually work for a dealer in the service department for a short time but that is beside the point. I was talking specifically about the the emissions fix in this case. As you pointed out, it is not a run of the mill service campaign and is a bit more complicated and involves hardware as well. On the customer side I remember having to sign at least one, if not more documents through the whole process starting before they even took my keys.
demagxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 07:57   #12
duratitus
Veteran Member

I'd love to have them modify my car without my permission because I could sue them for a lot of cash!!!
Old October 6th, 2017, 08:17   #13
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratitus View Post
I'd love to have them modify my car without my permission because I could sue them for a lot of cash!!!

Hah, yeah, good luck with that.
Old October 6th, 2017, 09:05   #14
duratitus
Veteran Member

They're not allowed to mess with the tuning and install hardware without authorization.
Old October 6th, 2017, 09:52   #15
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratitus View Post
They're not allowed to mess with the tuning and install hardware without authorization.

We did it all the time, chief. They all do. Any open campaigns were performed, and I never ran across a case where the owner expressly "forbid" it. Most do not even know nor care, so long as it is at no cost to them.

All three of the major manufacturers I worked for were like this. The only thing we had at Volkswagen was the TSB about the "tune" form, and we hardly ever even bothered with that, unless you knew going in that it had been modified. Which is very, very rare. Despite what the car guys like us think, not everyone is a gearhead.